turnips

General discussion on feeding, quantity, types, etc.
Rowlands

turnips

Post by Rowlands » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:21 pm

My pigs wont eat turnips- are they being picky. just not hungry or is this common?

My two gilts are due to have piglets in the next few days. As this is the first time for both of us I've brought them in from the field ( where there is masses of grass) and given each there own "sty". On Wendy's advice I started supplimenting the grass with pig nuts about a week ago. Now they are no longer eating grass, apart from a couple of bucket fulls I'm cutting by hand for them, I'm increasing their feed but its quite difficult to know how much to give at this stage. At the moment they're having a couple of carrots, 3 small apples and about 1lb nuts .This doesn't sound much and I wonder whether I should increase the nuts?. Having said that if they were hungry I'd have thought they'd eat the turnips!
Is it correct that I shouldn't increase the feed again until a couple of days after delivery?
Sue

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:22 pm

sounds great - they don't need more than 1lb of nuts and they are having plenty of veg etc. which will make up for lack of grass.
if you feed too much in the way of nuts at this stage you will just increase the size of the piglets which will lead to difficulties.
good luck with the piglets, we have just had a litter and they are just wonderful, never cease to amaze and entertain me!

Darrell

Thistles

Post by Darrell » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:32 am

I have noticed that all my sows eat a lot of thistles just before farrowing,it might be worth offering yours some hand picked ones.I don't know whether it helps them in labour? but mine seem to be on a mission for thistles 48 hours before giving birth.

Rowlands

thistles

Post by Rowlands » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:05 pm

Thistles we can do- in great quantities! However my two were less than impressed. Perhaps its a very individual thing, or maybe they're not going to deliver for a few more days. Its 114 days since mating so I guess they're pretty close. Very exciting!!
Sue