Feeding hay

General discussion on feeding, quantity, types, etc.
Rebeccakorb

Feeding hay

Post by Rebeccakorb » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:30 pm

Hello,

I've recently brought 3 kunekunes, one sow and 2, 3month old gilts. Although they are on a paddock with grass, the grass is pretty short and rubbish being winter. I was hoping to feed on pig nuts and hay. While they happily eat the pig nuts, they don't really seem to be touching the hay. Is it a case of when they get hungry enough they will eat it? Or can I encourage them to eat hay somehow? Or should I forget about the hay if they aren't interested?

I'm also worried about feeding the little ones enough. I'm used to feeding big pigs at 1lb pig nuts for each month of age. I don't want the little ones to get too fat but obviously want to make sure they get enough (don't worry, they have a separate eating area from the sow, which she's not happy about!)

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Beki

The Rushbury Pig

Re: Feeding hay

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:10 pm

Hi there,

My pigs are now eating vast quantities of hay. I leave it on by putting a bale in their bedroom and, when they are ready, they start tucking in :D

With respect to feeding a mixed group then when the ground is dry it is good to scatter their feed widely as this allows feeding at different rates and so varied amounts.

If you have a sow and 2 youngsters then simply feed in three buckets giving the two youngsters a reduced amount and the sow a larger amount if that is required. The sow will not let the little ones pinch her food! Feed by eye, if they are getting fat, reduce it and if too thin increase. If it is cold feed more, warm less. With growing pigs you will have to increase very slowly but don't over do it so they are fat little porkers :wink:
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

Rebeccakorb

Post by Rebeccakorb » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:23 pm

I will try putting some slices of hay into their pig ark as I don't think a whole bale will fit in. But then I can't be sure if they are eating it or just sleeping on it. I guess as long as I don't increase the pig nuts at all, they will turn to the hay eventually!

simon

Post by simon » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:42 pm

If they aren't eating good hay its a sure sign they are getting plenty of nuts.