Rooting

General discussion on feeding, quantity, types, etc.
Anna Leska

Rooting

Post by Anna Leska » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:28 pm

Hi, I have three lovely kunekune pigs, one gilt and 2 castrated boars. They have in the last 10 days started to wreck the 3 acre field thet they are in with rooting. They have always done it a bit, but this is serious!!
I have read some of the other posts about this subject and wondered if it can be prevented?
I am trying to gradually wean them off pig nuts, but they still get a lunchtime snack of windfall pears, carrots and any other veg that I can get hold of.
Is it a protest on their part, there is so much lush grass, we top about an acre of the field ever month so there is plenty of new growth.
Any ideas welcome.
Anna

Gary

Post by Gary » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:30 pm

Anna,
This is a well researched area for most kune owners.
Look under "general discussion" - may help.

Diane

Post by Diane » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:10 pm

My two girls did exactly the same. It's just a natural instinct as far as I can tell - don't think that you can stop it. As I have sheep to think of too, I couldn't risk the fields being completely ploughed over as they're dependant on the grass.

In the end, I had to fence off an area of one of the fields and just let them root away there - it's almost completely uprooted already and they've only been in it about a month!!

Some of the forum members did suggest that it maybe something that they will grow out of, so I'll probably let the girls out next spring for a trial period and see if they can behave themselves :wink:

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:11 pm

I know this is an old topic, but thought I answer anyway as somebody might find it useful.
Mine suddenly started rooting ALOT when I changed them over from commercial feed to barley.
Common sense told me that it was the feed and they were missing something. Probably iron. So I added weaner pencils to the barley and the rooting stopped. I then very slowly reduced the amount of weaner pencils.

Same for a grown boar I had who was rooting like crazy when he first arrived. Added a tiny scoop of weaner pencils to his food and he soon rooted a lot less.

Of course it's an instinct and they need to do it, but if they root all day like there is no tomorrow then looking at their feed might be helpful.

It also seems to be an "infectious behaviour". My fully grown sow was rooting with the boar but since she free ranges on her own (she is not one for company at the moment...) I haven't seen her rooting, nor found any evidence of it. Keeoing in mind she gets a little bit of weaners in her breakfast.

simon

Post by simon » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:22 pm

Stefan, I agree with what you say. You also need to look at the date of the original post (September). As the year goes on the nutrition in the grass sinks into the roots ready for winter.

Di

Post by Di » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:06 pm

I wondered why you are trying to wean them off pig nuts? Are you replacing these with something else? If not then I would think they are rooting because, as others have said, they are missing something.