the oatibix boys

General discussion on feeding, quantity, types, etc.
Fran

the oatibix boys

Post by Fran » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:36 pm

I have 2 nearly five week old piglets,all I can think of is that Mum didn't have enough working teats as they got very thin very quickly until I had to step in with SMA, they have now progressed onto SMA and oatiblx and have finally got little round bellies, the rest of the litter are fine and doing well.
What next though, there are both adult pig nuts and little 'milky pro' creep feed nuts available all the time but they are not interested like their big fat brothers and sisters are. I've tried putting some soaked creep feed in with their milk and oatibix but they will only tolerate a little bit otherwise won't eat any of it!
Does anybody have any ideas on how I can get them onto a more normal diet?

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:57 pm

in my experience orphans (or those not drinking properly from mum) take a long time to develop the natural 'greed' of the others.
don't overface them by giving them more than they want - its better to let them get a little hungry and keep an edge to their appetite. i expect they will catch up but its a long slow process, also, make sure they have competition when they;re eating

Fran

Post by Fran » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:36 am

Thanks, they seem to have lots of greed for warm milk and oatibix and I have to hold the bowls steady to stop them being spilt in the frenzy but won't touch pig nuts! I'd like to move off the SMA as it costs a fortune and is a pain to have to keep making up but am tentative as I don't want to upset their tummies, the dreaded scour won't do them any favours- have you used normal cows milk for them before? then maybe I can start adding pig nuts into it?

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:19 pm

i haven't used cows milk but i've used a multimilk for pigs, lambs calves etc but you still have the pain of mixing it although it is cheaper. hopefully they will start to copy the others and eat nuts. you can try startng them off on something like frosties as they are sweet and tempting.