why no meat/eggs?

General discussion on feeding, quantity, types, etc.
The Rushbury Pig

Re: why no meat/eggs?

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:41 pm

You've raised a really important point here in the UK that many maybe unaware of. I think you maybe in the US (hogs suggest it?!)

People should not feed meat and animal products, because it is illegal. The foot and mouth outbreak was started via pigs being fed contaminated products from kitchen waste. There has been more then one disease spread via feeding meat offal and animal related products back to agricultural animals. The issue would seem to me to be the intense way in which we farm many of our agricultural animals.

Pigs are natural omnivores, although they obviously don't hunt, but will scavenge!! My pigs roam freely in pasture and natural woodland and I am aware that they will eat whatever they find lying around. It is not harmful for them to do this, just natural.

A further thought, as I am aware others may read this post and the reply; If one is found to be feeding pigs inside the house, in the kitchen, or near a catering premises OR feeding illegal products to pigs, then there is a heavy fine and close monitoring by trading standards. For me, the far more important factor is that I could inadvertently be the starting point for another serious disease outbreak such as foot and mouth and I could never live with myself if that were the case.

If you contact your local trading standards office, they can better advise you on certain products they may be able to give you permission to feed. There are things that on the face of it are 'illegal' but in fact permission can be granted to feed. I'd always start by asking them :)
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:54 pm

I should add that it is not just meat products that it is illegal to feed but also any products that have been in a catering premises, including a domestic kitchen, even if you are vegetarian. If you stored your pig feed in a kitchen it would render it illegal. Vegetable peelings from a kitchen are also illegal. It is about the risk of contamination. Thought I should add this for clarity :)

BKKPS Chairperson

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:29 pm

A recently published press release from the APHA on this matter:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/apha ... sease-risk

BKKPS Chairperson