Help please

General discussion on feeding, quantity, types, etc.
Stokey

Help please

Post by Stokey » Sat May 03, 2014 9:27 am

I've got 2 kunes that are around 2 years old now. Unfortunately the wet weather has ruined their paddock and to stop them wallowing in mud up to their bellies in the winter I moved them to a concreted area in the garden. The paddock still hasn't dried out sufficiently for me to rotavate and reseed so the only available grass I have at the moment is in my garden which isn't huge! I've been feeding them pig nuts, grass pellets and pony carrots, and they have regular sessions in the garden, but I'm worried they aren't getting the nutrients they need. What else can I feed them? The lady I got my male from told me she made her own mix of oats and bran ( looked like chicken feed). Is this a good option? Pony carrots are getting scarce now so will I have to buy loads of veg from the supermarkets? Any advice would be appreciated. I love them both to bits so don't want to try and rehome them because of a lack off grass!! Thanks

The Rushbury Pig

Re: Help please

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Mon May 05, 2014 8:21 pm

Do not worry, the diet you are offering at the moment will give them all they need and any extra fruit and veg will be a big bonus :D

I suspect you are feeling guilty about keeping them on concrete at the moment when they are usually on grass but they will be perfectly happy and content whilst you take time to re-seed your paddock; letting them have leg stretching activity in your garden is great, sometimes we have to make compromises when the weather has been as bad as it has been but in no time you will have them back to their old routine :wink:
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

Stokey

Re: Help please

Post by Stokey » Mon May 12, 2014 8:53 pm

Thanks ever so much for the reply. I was getting quite worried being new to keeping pigs so your response was really appreciated. Thanks again