Silage and Hay: delivery and amounts

General discussion on feeding, quantity, types, etc.
repatexpat

Silage and Hay: delivery and amounts

Post by repatexpat » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:30 pm

Enjoyed meeting those attending the lively AGM last month and I want to be sure that our KKs are fed as well as we were! Not much left in the paddock where we keep a 2.5 y.o. sow and her three 7 m.o. gilt-weaners. This article recommends silage (which I hope to get from neighbouring farmer): http://www.fwi.co.uk/articles/29/04/201 ... armers.htm
but no info. on amounts and how one delivers it outside (no concrete pad at present). Same question re: amount/delivery for hay and the balance between the two (in addition to grain mix of 1 lb/day/pig).

Cheers!
V
Gloucestershire

simon

Re: Silage and Hay: delivery and amounts

Post by simon » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:46 pm

Rather unhelpfully I'm going to say quantities depends on the silage. The quality can vary a lot.
When feeding silage we tend to mix a few nuts in with it and feed in a trough as normal. You can just see how they get on and adjust quantities. If its good, you will only need a fistful of nuts.

But bear in mind that silage goes off quite quickly. Farmers tend to do it in either a clamp or large bales. If you get it once a week from a clamp you would need to keep it covered, but it will still turn within the week (depending on the weather). A large bale would be wasted and I wouldn't get them unless you have other animals that need feeding.

repatexpat

Re: Silage and Hay: delivery and amounts

Post by repatexpat » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:42 am

Thanks for all the new-to-me info, Simon. Will negotiate with neighbour to collect once or twice a week (store in sealed bucket?). Cheers! V
Gloucestershire