Newbie needs feeding advice and guidance

General discussion on feeding, quantity, types, etc.
stanandollie74

Newbie needs feeding advice and guidance

Post by stanandollie74 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Dear KK group - Hello and hope you will indulge a Newbie

We are a bit confused (due to possibly conflicting information) regarding feeding our Kunes or specifically when to move them up to the next stage of pellets

We have 2 castrated boars (Stan and Ollie) who were born on the 20th June and therefore are 3 month old next week (12/09). At the moment (as of last night) they weigh 56lb & 63lb (25kg & 31kg) respectively (we used the recommended LxG÷ size formula - though do appreciate that this result in an approximated weight)

At the moment we are feeding them on ½lb (approx - though usually a fraction more) twice a day of ‘Headstart’ pellets - which was recommended for post-weaners supplemented with fruit and veg throughout the day

We were told (by our supplier) that when the piglets reach approx 26-29kg (57-63lb) we should move up to ‘Grower’ pellets. However in a book I recently read (one of many I found particularly useful) it said that the move to ‘Grower’ pellets should happen at 16 weeks - another month away yet. One piece of advice says that they are ready to move up now and another states that I should wait another 4 weeks !

As a side issue they (to quote my 4 yr old grandson) ‘devour their food in no time’ well within the fabled 20 minutes - which may also be an indication that they are ready to move up as the ‘Headstart’ is not satisfying them.

I appreciate that this is not a definite science and each case is individual but can anyone please give us a definitive answer or advice as to when should we move up from ‘Headstart’ (post-weaner) pellets to ‘Grower’ pellets.

Yours in anticipation

Steve and Andy

(Dr Steve Kirby and Ms Andy Rutter
Great Ayton
North Yorkshire)

simon

Re: Newbie needs feeding advice and guidance

Post by simon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:01 pm

Welcome to the forum. We're always ready to indulge new folks.

Wow, if your 3month olds really are that weight you must have some fat weaners on your hands. It sounds like the books you are reading are for commercial breeds of pigs being raised for meat.

I feed all my kunes the same type of pellet. The lowest protein pellet that the manufacturer does. Its usually called something like 'dry sow' and will be about 16% protein. Anything that is designed for piglets or weaners will certainly be a high protein feed that is designed for commercial breeds of pig to make them hit slaughter weight as soon as possible. If you feed this to a kunekune weaner it will not be able to convert the protein to muscle fast enough and will instead store it as fat. At this time of year theres also still a good supply of grass to be had, so I need to adjust the pellet quantity so they aren't getting too much.

It takes time to raise a kune, and thats kind of the point - don't try to rush it.

Any chance you could post some photos?

stanandollie74

Post by stanandollie74 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:33 pm

Hi Simon

Thanks for the quick reply

As I said I used the equation and ‘the book’ did say that it was an approximate weight - but I think you are right about the books being about pigs being reared for meat - certainly one of them was - and these piglets are purely pets

I’ve had a look at the bag the weaner food came in and it says that it has ‘crude protein 20.5%’ which I am now coming to realise is too much - I need to check the ingredients/constituents of the Grower pellets I have already bought - too dark now I’ll do it tomorrow - however this is the only type of weaner (or grower) my supplier sells as they make it themselves (or appear to). Something tells me I need to shop around a bit more and not just go for what is local.

Also - reading the small (very small) print on the label it says only to be used up to 12 weeks old - Thursday for these 2 lovely lads

So I’ll be changing to the grower pellets on Thursday (and check the protein content tomorrow and let you know) - while they are getting a good supply of grass and fruit and veg throughout the day - would you recommend/suggest that I reduce the amount of pellets they get (currently 1/2lb twice a day each)

While the piglets ARE big they don’t appear fat - but they are solid and sturdy - I’ve just taking an up to date picture so will try at post them

Once again thanks for taking the time to reply (and if you are ever in our part of Yorkshire you are welcome to visit)

All the best

Steve and Andy

Great Ayton
North Yorkshire)

stanandollie74

Post by stanandollie74 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:02 pm

Hi Simon

I've opened a Flickr account and uploaded 2 recent (taken today) pictures

See what you think of the boys

Stan http://www.flickr.com/photos/101548265@N05/9720521356/

Ollie http://www.flickr.com/photos/101548265@N05/9717285615/

(hope I've done this right)

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated

Steve and Andy

Great Ayton
North Yorkshire)

simon

Post by simon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:22 pm

They don't look to be 30kg in these pictures. They look well.
When pigs get fat they do feel solid and muscular, not like humans - so you can't judge it in the same way.

I suspect your local supplier will do a low protein feed. Just don't ask for a piglet or weaner feed. Mix the feed you've already bought in to use it up.

stanandollie74

Post by stanandollie74 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:19 pm

Hi Simon

Just a quickie to say thanks for the advice over the past few nights

I've checked the bag of 'Grower' pellets which I am going to start using tomorrow - and they are 19% protein - definitely need to change my brand - and interestingly enough the bag says 'for use up to 12 weeks old' - the same as the 'Headstart' weaner pellets

Think I've been sold some duff information by my supplier - eBay here I come

Thanks again

Steve and Andy