Spring and Summer feeding

General discussion on feeding, quantity, types, etc.
biddydog

Spring and Summer feeding

Post by biddydog » Wed May 15, 2013 3:53 pm

My two KKs are now one year old- one gilt one castrate (stupidly bought the gilt before I realised I should have had two castrates instead but hey ho). Both fit, happy and healthy.
They are on an acre of grass. Up until now, they have P &A nuts with horse carrots and other bits and bobs of veg. Now my local merchant says the the horse carrots are over.
I have been reading the feeding posts with interests but just need a little clarification.
Could I now stop feeding P&A feed and let them just eat grass all the time?? Later in the season they will also have wind falls and I will start the feed again in the autumn.
Don't want to sound like a wuss but grass only sounds a bit harsh but it's costing a fortune. My P&A is now £13.75!!!!
:?:

SarahN

Re: Spring and Summer feeding

Post by SarahN » Wed May 15, 2013 6:41 pm

Hi,
When you said P & A food did you mean Allen & Page pot bellied feed? I changed from that to Farmgate Sow and Weaner (in a pink bag) It was cheaper and they liked it better as when I changed over I gave them a bit of each for a while and they always ate the Farmgate first. Also I noticed that after I had changed their skin became alot better. They had been prone to dry skin and I was always putting pig oil on them. I changed pig food about 18 months ago and since then no more flaky skin.
I don't know about grass only, other people probably know more about that. I feed mine all year but reduce the amount when the grass is good over spring and summer.

biddydog

Post by biddydog » Wed May 15, 2013 6:44 pm

Thanks Sarah. Yes I did mean Allen and Page. I'll have a think.

simon

Post by simon » Thu May 16, 2013 9:15 pm

At a year old they are still growing, so a few nuts to help with the nutriants are still a good idea.
But if your grass is good quality, and depending on how far north you live, kunekunes should be able to get most of their calories from grass.

Try it out and see. Slowly cut down their feed and watch their body weight. They will always prefer nuts, but I have fed adults just on grass and they are happy after a good days grazing.

biddydog

Post by biddydog » Thu May 16, 2013 10:10 pm

Thanks Simon. As you suggest, I will have a go at reducing their feed gradually but not stop completely. I will keep an eye on them as they are currently so contented I don't really want to rock the boat.