Feeding

General discussion on feeding, quantity, types, etc.
DeniseDulson

Feeding

Post by DeniseDulson » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:12 pm

Hi all - would welcome your advice ref amount of pig nuts to feed our kunekune's over winter.

They are now fully grown and during the summer, have quite a bit of space in their field, so pretty much graze and therefore need very little else to eat (they do get fruit and veggie treats too).

Now that winter is here, I'm a bit worried about overfeeding them with pig nuts (I use Allen & Paige) - last winter I think we definitely overfed them as had been advised we should feed them more in the cold weather. However, they got quite "portly" and it took a few months to get them back into good shape again.

Would appreciate any tips/advice.

Many thanks

Denise.

simon

Re: Feeding

Post by simon » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:19 pm

Give them a weighed amount of food for 20mins or so - until them start to look like they've had enough. Then weigh it to see how much has gone. Its a guide you can use every now and again.

The other thing you can do is give them constant access to hay. If they are hungry, they will eat.

wendy scu

Re: Feeding

Post by wendy scu » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:10 am

mine have about 1lb of food a day each - that's sow nuts 16% protein. Allen and page have a guide chart on the bag don't they?
i agree with simon - a bit of fodder to munch on too