Japanese knotweed

General discussion on feeding, quantity, types, etc.
beardyben

Japanese knotweed

Post by beardyben » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:51 pm

Hi there

My first post on this forum. We have two young (13 weeks) male kunekune's. We have a worrying growth of Japanese knotweed on a bit of our land and I am keen to avoid chemicals if possible. It has been suggested that we could put the Kune's on there and they would help control the knotweed - does anyone know any more about this? Good idea or terrible one?

Any advice really appreciated

Many thanks indeed
Ben

wendy scu

Re: Japanese knotweed

Post by wendy scu » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:07 pm

would love to help but don't know what knotweed is!!! you'll have to wait for a gardener to reply :oops:

simon

Post by simon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:33 pm

I've never seen knotweed, so I can't say for certain. But I would be surprised if 2weaners would even keep it under control by eating new shoots and I doubt they would take to the roots. I hear its quite a nasty plant.
I think I'd call professionals in before it gets out of hand.

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:09 pm

I can't begin to imagine that kunekune would help manage knotweed as mostly they are not big diggers although I'm sure there are some that are so they may help :D

There are companies specifically trading to deal with it as it is such a major problem. I have seen it and know it well but my understanding is that you have to clear every minute piece of root from your land; Part of the the process they use commercially uses massive sieves to sieve all the soil before returning it to the plot!!

My Berkshire girls would certainly dig it up and clear what is on top but I suspect they would end up making it worse as they would spread it more widely :cry:

As for whether it is dangerous in terms of poisoning or anyhting else I haven't a clue :?

Not sure this is what you really wanted to hear sorry, anyone else used kunekune for clearance??
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

beardyben

Post by beardyben » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:11 pm

Many thanks for the responses - really useful. To be honest, as our pigs grow up and their tails curl and they root around we are less and less convinced they are pure bred Kune's despite what we were told when buying them. Today they have dug so far they got out from their fencing which from what I have read and heard is not very Kune behaviour!

We are trying a patch of the knotweed with a herbicide and may still try the 'Kunes' on a patch to see how that works.

Thanks
Ben

abbottmorris

Post by abbottmorris » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:45 pm

Hello..
I would like to suggest you that go to the services provided by the experts as they better know the solution for it. I also got the same problem and now totally free from the worries of damaged cost due to it. For cost effective and professional Japanese Knotweed Contractors click Knotweed Removal .

Edwards0

Post by Edwards0 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:17 am

Hi dear am newbie here and i read this forum it's really nice and informative i really like it i get most of useful information from it which can prove beneficial for me i was need some similar post's but i get your post on first search on Google search engine it's fulfill my need i really appreciate it and keep it up!!
Edwards0