Preferred foods for training

General discussion on feeding, quantity, types, etc.
SophieAdrana

Preferred foods for training

Post by SophieAdrana » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:03 pm

Hi all!
I'm a zookeeper who currently works with 2 male Kunes. We have just recently started training for tusk trimming. We want to find a food item that our boys might prefer over their usual veg, that we can associate purely with this training to make them positively associate it with. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I've seen apple mentioned in some of the info on the website, however this is a daily training session so could apple daily be too much?
They currently get carrot or sweet potato for training, but it doesn't seem to motivate them much, so anything other than these if poss :)

repatexpat

Re: Preferred foods for training

Post by repatexpat » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:25 pm

I've had good luck with bananas. These can be frozen in between training sessions. Most pigs will eat the skin once they know what's inside. Good luck!
Gloucestershire

SallyB

Post by SallyB » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:06 pm

I have had 2girls for about a year , and they go mad for chard out of the garden- assume it has higher sugar content than most veg but less than fruit ?

simon

Post by simon » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:33 am

For tusk trimming a good tummy rub and getting him used to having his mouth messed about with is a good start. I know of people who can ask their boar to open wide and the pig obliges. I have never trained to that extent, but getting them relaxed and doing it while they are half asleep can certainly work. A dremmel can get it all done quicker.