Grazing

General discussion on feeding, quantity, types, etc.
simon

Grazing

Post by simon » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:49 am

I currently have no pigs, as I have never wanted to churn up my fields with their rooting.
I recently came by the kunekune website and I am interested in peoples opinion of how much grazing / rooting a kunekune does compared to other breeds.
Can you literally leave a kune to graze as you would a sheep?

debbie tanulak

rooting

Post by debbie tanulak » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Hi Simon 831
Whilst perhaps not as good at rooting as other breeds, my two girls will dig for Australia when the ground is soft!! I give them a small area that i am prepared to have dug up at this time of year and let them onto the rest when it is dry enough, they still have a go at it but not as bad as in the winter. When i am about i let them have a free run of the field and garden so they can graze. KKs are a grazing pig but do not leave the ground as neatly chewed as a sheep, especially on clay soil like mine. I think you have to accept that your land will never quite be as neat and green once pigs move in - however the pleasure they give outweighs the mud!

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:38 pm

i have 17 kunes who winter out every year. some root but never to the extent that other pigs do and the grass always coomes back i nthe spring. out of 17 i only have 2 who always root in winter. nobody root in summer and none of the others bother in the winter either,

Di

Grazing

Post by Di » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:16 pm

I have 4 kunekunes and they certainly do not root like other pigs. In the summer there is no sign of rooting and this winter the ground is muddy, but certainly not a mess. Some of the problem is because the ground is so wet and I throw their nuts onto the ground they take off some of the grass when foraging for their nuts.

However, I have sold piglets who I am told are digging for Australia! So not a hereditary thing. Maybe its soil type?

Di

Louise NI

Post by Louise NI » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:49 pm

Hi

Did I read somewhere that piglets get iron through their snoot from the soil?? My two girls rooted the place up looking for roots - (particularly nettle roots) last winter when they were only months old. One particular spot - the bank of an old mill race where the soil is soft - looked like a bomb crater!! It was to our advantage because we were overrun with nettles and we were able to then lift what roots they left. They only seemed to eat the succulent bits! The grass grew back as good as ever, with lots more buttercups which they love. They are now one year and four months and don't seem to bother as much. Perhaps it is a juvenille thing? The bomb crater still looks bad but I don't mind anyway they are worth it!!

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:35 pm

yes, they do root for iron and minerals and it is often just a 'teenage' thing,

robnock

Re: Grazing

Post by robnock » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:34 pm

My 3 all root a lot, though undoubtedly not as much as 'normal' pigs. I had hopes that they would root a lot less than they do and, despite, having had a huge area of decent grass to graze on they quickly started just turning it all over. Bit of a pain and wondering what to do as had had hopes of rotating them, around largish paddocks, with our other animals.