Skin Issue with 3 of our 5 piglets - Any ideas..

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
sara-thegranary

Skin Issue with 3 of our 5 piglets - Any ideas..

Post by sara-thegranary » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:22 pm

3 of our 5 piglets who are 15 weeks old have developed ' lumpy' skin on their hind quarters and tail too- it is hard and crater like in appearance, the hair on the piglets is fine - that hasn't thinned.
It is irritating them somewhat. I initially thought last week it was dry skin and or mud and have treated them with boiled linseed oil by rubbing it in and brushing them daily which they love .
However, I'm now not convinced.
It doesn't resemble the images and descriptions of mange or erysipelas - except for the itching.They have been injected for the later only a month ago too.
I wondered if it is a zinc deficiency as this does say they get raised leisions but i can't find an image of what they have anywhere on the web...
the 3 that have it are also the smaller of the 5, and are castrated, so maybe they have been stressed by the operation although a while ago. Whatever they have could be why they are smaller too- maybe.
The other 2 piglets have no signs of this condition.
A vet visit is in the pipeline - but because of Christmas its not for a couple of days -
Any ideas please would be really appreciated - thanks

Di

Re: Skin Issue with 3 of our 5 piglets - Any ideas..

Post by Di » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:14 pm

Could it be mange?

sara-thegranary

Post by sara-thegranary » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:39 pm

We thought this initially, but the hair is all there and there are no nasty bits in or around the ears which is usually an indicator. An old pig farmer in the village popped round today to look and he doesn't think its mange either.
Bit of a head scratcher this one - if you pardon the pun!!

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:18 pm

i would give them an noromectin injection as a precaution, they are just the right age to have mange post weaning

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:29 pm

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater

this photo shows a pretty bad case of mange - all the hair on this chap was thick and healthy looking but about 40% of his body was thick scabs. i took the picture to chow how thick the scabs were - about .5cm :( it took about 3 months for all the scabs to grow out and for him to make a full recovery

sara-thegranary

Post by sara-thegranary » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:01 am

Thanks Wendy - that's really helpful. Seeing your picture with the hair and the scabs makes it seem more likely that it is mange - off to inject right away - I'll take a picture too if i can.