Hobbling Pig

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
PollyRichard

Hobbling Pig

Post by PollyRichard » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:35 am

Our two year old castrate Ted has developed a limp (front right). He has very poor posture (back on his heels), but we try to keep on top of hoof clipping and his weight. He did have a split between his back little toe and his foot where he'd caught it, but this seems all healed up. There's no sign of an open wound or inflamation, and he doesn't flinch if you prod and poke. It seems worse on cold mornings. His appetite is fine and he seems his usual cheerful self. We'd be very happy to involve the vet, but there isn't really anything to see. I'd be grateful for any thoughts. Thanks in advance.

wendy scu

Re: Hobbling Pig

Post by wendy scu » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:50 pm

how long has he been like it?
pigs do get strains and sprain which will heal and disappear on their own.

check his joints for swelling or heat as this could be an indication of something inflammatory which may need antibiotics. if there is nothing to show for it i would give it a week or two. and watch his weight. if he is 'down at heel' i would suspect he may be a little porky :lol:

PollyRichard

Post by PollyRichard » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:09 am

Thanks Wendy. It's been going a few weeks now, some days hardly at all, other days quite noticeable. No sign of tenderness or distress. We'll try to slim him down a bit more, although he currently gets far less than Charlie and still seems to have a saggy tum!

emmy j 74

Post by emmy j 74 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:50 am

hi my pig is year old now and has developed a limp on its back leg ,i dont understand as its been in its pen while this has happened , only like it a few days ,but ive checked it hoof and cant find nothing it itches with that leg also as i see it doing it and it seams healthy she is eating ok and drinking no temp or dont seam to be swelling to it she wont put pressure on it she let me look at it ,so i dont know what to do ,i dont want to get a vet if i can help it ,i would rather do it myself to sort it out she used to come in the house but now she wont come in ,si this is very strange to us !

pedro1

Post by pedro1 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:40 pm

Pigs can quite easily get sprains or pull muscles in their legs and this could be the problem or in this bad weather the pg could have slipped and just pulled a muscle or sprained it from Tom