Pig Worming

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
Colourchestnut

Pig Worming

Post by Colourchestnut » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:23 pm

Hi Everyone
I am new to this site as have only had the pleasure of owning two Kune- Kune Pigs for the last couple of months. Peppa and Pumba are an absolute delight to own and both myself and my family have fallen in love with them . They are so friendly and loving I wished we had owned Kune - Kune years ago :roll: :roll: . Can I say that this forum is very informative and helpfull especially for a new owner like myself. I know that Kunes are meant to be wormed every coupe of months or so and would really appreciate your advice and feedback on what is the bast wormer and how often they should be administered. Many Thanks X :D

simon

Re: Pig Worming

Post by simon » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:35 am

I prefer to use an injection of dectomax as it covers more than just worms, and do this about ever six months.
I know of other people who have 2 pigs on a large area of land who seldom worm (and possibly would never need to) and the worm egg burden on a large space does not become a problem.

sara-thegranary

Re: Pig Worming

Post by sara-thegranary » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:33 pm

We have used verm-x , a herbal wormer that is administered by adding a little scoop into the normal food volume for 7 days in a row, once a month. It's been sucsessful and they like it.
No jabs - very straightforward and simple.
Take a look at their site :
http://www.verm-x.com/
Also I give ours flaked garlic and a few rosemary leaves (run your hand down the stem and the leaves go straight into the feed trough.
Both these are good for assisting in the prevention of worms. There is a good book on herbal husbandry available second hand on the net and this has some interesting tonics too.