Hair Loss following Illness - normal?

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
BurrWood

Hair Loss following Illness - normal?

Post by BurrWood » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:18 pm

Hello. Can anyone please tell me if significant hair loss following a piggie having been very I'll, but recovered, is normal?
I would say he has lost 75% of his hair and is quite bald.

claire86

Post by claire86 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:59 pm

I wouldn't say it was 'normal' but it would depend what the illness was. Stress can certainly cause hair loss, but it could also be secondary to whatever the illness was (lowered immune response so secondary infection/parasite etc).
Is he itchy with it? How does the skin look? Any pattern to the hair loss (location over body)? Seen any parasites?

BurrWood

Post by BurrWood » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:56 pm

No parasites. They would be easy to spot as he literally lost all his hair - he went completely nude. It is all growing back now though, albeit slowly. He has a thin covering of bristles all over him. It must have been due to his illness. The vets still don't know what he had. He didnt eat for 2 weeks, and couldn't stand at all - completely lifeless. He seems to have sprung back to full health now though (touch wood). I think he was stressed too, with all the injections he was having.

Stanfield

Post by Stanfield » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:57 pm

Some of my kunes have lost about half their hair after they have weaned their piglets, I have also seen other kunes with hair loss for no particular reason.

BurrWood

Post by BurrWood » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:05 pm

Yes, I think it is possibly a reaction to being run down, or stressed. Interestingly, our other Kune was 80% bald when we got him from the RSPCA, where he was a cruelty case, and very sick. He was bald the first time we saw him, and now he has thick hair all over. The RSPCA tested him for mange and other things, so know it wasn't a parasite. I think just a low immune system, or stress is most probable. Just a bit shocking when you first see it!!!

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:04 pm

i have experienced regular hair loss in my kunes when they are in very good health. some of them will go completely bald then it will all grow back, some never lose any at all.