Dry itchy skin problem

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
Piggywig

Dry itchy skin problem

Post by Piggywig » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:28 pm

Hi,

Both of my 4 month old pigs have got dry scaly skin and they regulary scratch themselves on tree stumps etc. I inspect their skin daily and my Boars back end has gone quite firm in one place. They still have lovely ginger coats but when I check underneath it is very dry. I have spoken to a vet and he said it may be mites but would have to come out and have a look. Before I call him out I thought I could ask on here for any information on appearance of the skin infected with mites or any tell tell signs. The vet said it would cost the best part of ?100 to come and check them and inject them if necessary :o I have read that I could give them a fluid ivomec but don't want to give them drugs unecessarily.

Any help/advice will be much appreciated :)

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:40 pm

I would hink it will be mange - they often break out in mange post weaning. i would ask the breeder you got them from if they were treated but an injection of noromectin is what you need. 1 ml uncer the skin behind the ear and you will see an improvement within a few days although the hard scaley skin will take weeks to grow out. don't delay as it will take its toll on their health.
you can order noromectin on www.hyperdrug.com and buy a whole bottle for less than one injection from the vet!

Piggywig

Post by Piggywig » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:52 pm

I think I will get the vet to do the first one but watch how he does it so I can do my own in future. I know it's costly but I would be worried about doing it wrong and hurting them. I will arrange for him to come as soon as possible. Thanks for your advice! Hopefully we will have them better soon :)

Piggywig

Post by Piggywig » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:55 pm

The Vet came and gave them both a shot of ivomec on Monday. Today I have found long White roundworm in half of the poo! About 6 6" worms so far. Will they be okay now? I was told by the breeder & vet they didn't need worming. Shall I get them done again in 4 weeks to be sure?

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:05 pm

doesn't sound like they were wormed at weaning :(
i would do them again in 3 to 4 weeks to beon the safe side. you will be amazed at how their condition will improve and their coats will shine in a couple of weeks :D

claire86

Post by claire86 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:01 pm

Just to back that up - check that they don't have lice. I found out the other day from the manufacturers of Panomec (Ivomectin) that to treat lice in pigs required two shots 21d apart, which isn't actually mentioned in the instruction sheet for the product! I pointed that out to them and basically got a 'shrug-shoulders' in reply!