'Disposal' of dead piglet?

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
Pandora

'Disposal' of dead piglet?

Post by Pandora » Tue May 31, 2011 2:09 pm

Hi, someone we know has just sadly lost their 3 month old piglet to torsion (twisted gut), and have asked me about how they are supposed to dispose of the body. Thankfully, we have never lost a piggie... yet, so I don't know the procedure.

I'm sure I remember some time ago Wendy saying she buried her favorite pig (Hattie, I think?) under her bedroom window in the garden, when she passed on... so is it still okay to bury 'deadstock'? Or who do you call?

Someone said call the 'knackerman' but there doesn't seem to be one locally, and would he be interested in bothering with a 3 month old piglet carcass? :cry:
Never test the depth of the water with both feet!

ambriel

Post by ambriel » Tue May 31, 2011 8:53 pm

I don't think you're allowed to just bury pig carcasses.

Try the following website for the National Fallen Stock Company:

http://nfsco.co.uk/

Di

Post by Di » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:13 pm

So sorry. I have had the same thing today. A 6 month old piglet with erysipalas! A warning to everyone inject all piglets. I always inject piglets I am selling but this was one who would have gone for sausages. I (wrongly) assumed that as he would be going at 7 months the vaccine was not necessary. I always inject the boar and breeding sows every 6 months. Vet said it is a problem as it is a germ in the soil and is everywhere. BE WARNED.

Now, disposing of the body. I phone the local hunt kennels. Phoned at 9.45am this morning and he's just been collected (12.15). They do charge but its something like ?10. Try them they are so helpful.

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:48 pm

Thanks guys ~ been sorted now. Doubt the local hunt would be interested in such a small piglet though... not much meat on him at 3 months :?

I agree Di... I ALWAYS inject my adults every 6 months with Porcillis Ery, and EVERY piglet I breed. I know Wendy doesn't vaccinate, but I would not like to take the chance when it's avoidable.

ambriel

Post by ambriel » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:56 pm

I recently had our three vaccinated. They need their second one in a couple of weeks.

The vet didn't think it was really necessary round here as there aren't many pigs but as I was likely to be visiting other herds I thought it wise, in case I brought it back with me.

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:26 pm

There are no pigs at all anywhere near us, and ours are on 'virgin' land as their meadow adjoining our home has always been arable farmed land until we bought it... but you never know what visitors bring in on their footwear, and it's tricky getting people in white designer trainers to 'sheepdip' their feet in Virkon :lol:

Di

Post by Di » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:15 pm

The vet told me that the germ is in the soil and therefore it is everywhere. As you can imagine I was mortified at losing this piglet to something I knew about. In future all piglets will be vaccinated whether being sold or becoming meat.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:54 pm

going back to the original question - if the vet classes it as a pet it seems you can get away with it although the rules do state that pigs are livestock so cannot be buried.
we usually pay the fallen stock company to take anything of ours (it was ?57 for a full grown sow i recently lost).
the hunt will sometimes take them as they will put them in the 'bone bin' as they cant feed them to the hounds

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:27 pm

Thanks... at least I know what to do when the time comes now :cry: