casterating piglets

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
coleenandwannekunekune

casterating piglets

Post by coleenandwannekunekune » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:08 pm

i had my 4 boars casterated tonight. we took them to the vets as i thought this was betterfor me. on the last piglet, as the vet cut he prolapsed it was awful. the vet said it was lucky i had him done or he would of died he has stitched him all up. i took him back to his mum he had a little drink. but the vet said he only has a 50/50 chance of survival im really worried about leaving him now where i keep my pigs is about 15mins away from my house! i dont know weither i should just bring him home? any advise if this has happened to anyone else?

coleenandwannekunekune

Post by coleenandwannekunekune » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:12 pm

sorry i forgot to say it was a hernia! and it has been removed!

simon

Post by simon » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:28 pm

Leave him with his mum, as long as hes getting food. Watch out for signs of infection, and act quickly.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:56 am

unfortunately hernias are quite common in pigs and very common in kunes - probably due to the small gene pool.
i think 50/50 sounds a bit pessimistic - i have only lost one following a hernia operation in 10 years.

this is why its always a good thing to get them done by a vet in the surgery, some poeple i know have tried to do their own and then of course its instant death.

good luck, if he makes the first 24 hours he will probably be fine but like simon said, keep an eye on him and keep their bed nice and clean

coleenandwannekunekune

Post by coleenandwannekunekune » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:31 pm

sadly my little piglet died this morning. i left him with his mum but he just went down hill yesterday. i feel so bad!!

Di

Castrating piglets

Post by Di » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:51 pm

Its dreadful when piglets die but in this case there was nothing you could have done. You took him to a vet to be castrated where he would have got the best treatment possible.

My vet has also mentioned that kunekunes are not as easy to castrate as other pigs - something about their testicles being higher up.

Don't blame yourself. Just enjoy the other piglets.

Di