hernias

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
CarolineB

hernias

Post by CarolineB » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:54 pm

apologies for asking about this - I know it was covered in a newsletter but I can't seem to find. anyway...

... the vet came and castrated our boys, but one of the three he suspected had a hernia - suspect no more! it's huge. the Vet said he'd look at him again when he came to castrate our other gilts litter in abotu 2 weeks time.

I can't remember what the newsletter said. Can they be fatal? Are they common? (Vet seemed to think more so in factory pigs, less so in traditional breeds) Does he need treating? Any info would be great. Thanks so much.

Cx
Caroline

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:37 pm

i presume youre talking about a scrotal hernia, not an umbilical one,
he will need an operation to repair the hernia. you can't leave it as it can become strangulated which is fatal.
some vets will do it some won't.

ukag0972

Post by ukag0972 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:57 am

Is it a hereditory condition? Can you still breed from boars with them? I had both with hernias, so I got them castrated (operation job) as I thought that they shouldn't be bred from.
Was I wrong?

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:12 am

yes it is hereditary and no you shouldn't breed from them. it can also come through in the sow line - ie if you have a gilt bred from a boar with a hernia she will produce piglets with hernias.

ukag0972

Post by ukag0972 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:10 pm

The unfortunate thing is that most people dont check for hernias! Or ask if there is a history of them.

If I breed again then the boys will routinely be castrated.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:28 pm

with every sow that is covered by my boars i send them home with a covering note with all the details and due date and always ask the breeder to let me know if there are any deformities or hernias in the litters. that way i can find out if any of my boars are throwing oddities,

ukag0972

Post by ukag0972 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:43 pm

It was not on my list of questions to ask! But with hindsight I probably should have given the breeder if my pigs a wide berth, but I was so in love with the piglets that it never crossed my mind that breeders would hide such problems!!
I suppose if his piglets are not castrated then he won't know there was hernias and unsuspecting folk buy then and carry on the defective gene.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Fri May 01, 2009 7:14 am

well thats quite true, unless the hernia is quite visible which some aren't.

Anyone that is Keeping a boar entire and intending to sell him as a breeding boar, i recommend that they take him to the vet for a checkover to discover whether he has any defects at all including hernias.

These days i think far too many people are keeping boar pilgets entire simply because they are a beautiful colour. Unfortunately colour does not make a suitable stud pig.