Erysipelas Vaccine

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
LucyJ

Erysipelas Vaccine

Post by LucyJ » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:37 am

My Piglets are nearly 20weeks old and i still have not managed to get them vaccinated. :oops: The Vet advised me to call round local pig owners/famers in the area and ask them for small amounts of the vaccine but i have had no luck in getting any! Most have laughed in my face and have said not to bother! But i want it doing, should i just buy the large batch from the vet? Or does anyone have any spare they are willing to sell me?

Rowlands

Post by Rowlands » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:34 pm

Hi Lucy,

I've got a 25 dose bottle in the fridge and might have some over when I've done mine and my neighbour's. If so you'd be welcome to have it. The only trouble is they need 2 vaccinations 4 weeks apart and once the seal has been broken you can't be sure the contents are sterile- pigs may end up with an abcess. You might be better buying yourself a bottle and accept that a lot will be wasted- thats what happened to me when I only had 2 piglets.
Great video by the way- nice to see they're doing so well.
Sue

LucyJ

Post by LucyJ » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:42 pm

yeah i think i will have to give the vet a call! :?
and yeah theyre doing really well and smokie (the black one) is the fastest runner ive ever seen! and they are both getting very smart! :D

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:41 am

Hi there, go to this website: http://www.holmefieldfarmservices.com/page5.htm
and phone them up to order vaccine, plus one of the auto vaccinators shown. Don't forget to ask for the gun as well as the flexi tube. Makes easy work of it!
Keep the vaccinator with the 50ml bottle of vaccine still loaded, in a freezer snap shut bag in the FRIDGE... then it's ready for next time, and you waste nothing.
This supplier is very helpful, and only ever sell you what you need, at great prices, and delivered superquick. Plus they have specialsit pig vets, happy to phone you back for any queries about anything!!
Good luck.
Never test the depth of the water with both feet!

LucyJ

Post by LucyJ » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:58 pm

great thanks for the help :) i will call them as soon as possible!

redgeorge

Post by redgeorge » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:39 pm

Vets here also either laugh or look puzzled when I ask them about this vaccination

AmandaR

Post by AmandaR » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:42 pm

Our vet is very friendly and understanding to the ways of the smallholder. He is happy to supply preloaded syringes when we only need to vaccinate a few pigs. My best advice? Ask: they can only say no & it can save you money!