Excessive vulval bleeding

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
lizzieo

Excessive vulval bleeding

Post by lizzieo » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:33 am

Good morning everyone, I am hoping someone is able to help here. we are a small school farm and keep some kunekune mix / crosses and have a problem with females. One at the moment (around 5 years old) is bleeding heavily following a season which started over a week ago and is passing enormous amounts of blood and sometimes fleshy clots also. The vet has given antibiotics and pain relief but she seems fine in herself. We have recently lost an older female (9) with the same problem, although she was struggling to stand and showing signs of pain also. Last month we had the daughter of the 9 year old pig PTS as she lost the use of her back end. This one is bleeding a lot more and it is, at times, dripping out. I have read somewhere that kunekunes are predisposed to genetic issues with polycystic ovaries and that this is a common finding following post mortem after the same bleeding problem has occurred. Does anyone know if this can be seem with unltrasound etc? is it likely? Can the vet sort this?
Many thanks

simon

Re: Excessive vulval bleeding

Post by simon » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:34 pm

Hi, there is some good information on this previous post:
Older sow bleeding from vagina

Dorothee

Post by Dorothee » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:23 pm

Hello.
My 11 year old kunekune squeak has had excessive bleeding from her vulva for a few days. The vet came 2 days ago and gave her fast acting antibiotics and pain relief. She stopped bleeding for a day but this morning noticed a small clot of blood again. It is just blood she is passing, no muck or slime, probably unlikely to be just an infection.
The vet said we would have to start to think about having her put down if it doesn’t improve. He said it it is quite hard to inject a pig to euthanise them and may be best to get someone to come and shoot her. Has anyone heard this before ? I want to be with her when she is put down and I couldn’t watch her being shot 😢 . Any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated. I do like our vet and have seen him many times before. Thanks

amyanna

Post by amyanna » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:26 pm

Hello Dorothee
I had to have pig put down about 5 years ago. She had gone very lame and had a number of injections from the vet , he advised the kindest thing to do was to have her put down as she was in so much pain she could not walk. He advised shooting as it is better for the pig - there is no running around trying to inject etc etc. I got a professional guy in as recommended and could not watch either. You don't have to. I prepared a bowl of pineapple, carrots, grapes and she was happily tucking into that when the deed was done, very quick and professional. When their time comes, I'd do the same without hesitation, but with sadness, for the other two.
Anna