What should we do with a "widowed" elderly pig?

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
Cosy

What should we do with a "widowed" elderly pig?

Post by Cosy » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:57 pm

Hi, We have 2 litter sisters that have been together for nearly 10 years. We don't have any other pigs and they live in an isolated walled in Kitchen Garden. Both are nearly blind but seem perfectly content with life. One sister became quite poorly yesterday (she was fine on Friday evening) and is refusing to eat. She is very lethargic and it looks like heart failure or similar. I will be getting the vet out shortly but would really appreciate some advice before he gets here. I think, given her age, that she may need to be put down. The question is what to do with her sister. One bit of advice I have had is to get her put down at the same time as she will really struggle on her own. I cant re-home her due to her age and poor eyesight. We visit them twice daily but the paddock is isolated so the surviving sister will be on her own for most of the day with no interaction/contact with other animals/people. I don't want her to have a life of misery hereafter but getting her put down seems wrong too. Advice/thoughts gratefully received. Many thanks, Cosy

The Rushbury Pig

Re: What should we do with a "widowed" elderly pig?

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:04 pm

A very difficult situation for you. It is difficult to know if she will struggle on her but I suspect she will miss her sister a lot. However I can't be sure, every pig is different and some cope better thank others. If you do not wish to have the other pig put down than I would recommend you try getting a companion. If you got a much younger weaner then there would not be any fighting and they would eventually settle. If you re-home her it would need to be to someone who had experience of old, blind pigs. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.