Help needed - Lame pig

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
Sam

Help needed - Lame pig

Post by Sam » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:20 pm

:(
Hi, I have a male (castrated) and female kunekune pig (brother and sister) who are 18 months old.

They have both been extremely healthy up until 4 months ago when 'Georgie' (female) started being lame. Hooves etc were fine and no breaks to the leg.

This lameness started firstly on her left hind- she was weigt bearing on her leg but was 'hopping' on it. She then started to shift weight from one back leg to the other when eating and stood still. The lameness went away and then she progressivly got worse in November when she was criss crossing her hind legs and she was very wobbly. The vet advised that it could be a spinal abcess/septic arthritis/mycoplasma and she was treated for 10 days with lincocin injection and finadyne injection (anti inflammatory).

Georgie improved with this treatment but I still felt she wasn't 100%, and still shifted her weight on her hind legs when eating. Over Christmas she has deteriorated again and has been on finadyne again. Today she has stayed down all day and reluctant to eat. I have got her up but she is very unsteady on her legs (hind). Again the vet advised finadyne and pen strep for 3 days which I am doing. I am concerned that she is not getting better and having good days then bad days. She is spending more time lying down and is reluctant to run and when she does she hops on her left hind especially.

She is also thin at the waste (smaller than Pugsley), eats well some days and not others and seems to give up eating after a certain time. I am comparing this to Pugsley (male) who would eat anything and everything and eat all day! Since Georgie starting being lame I feed her separatley to Pugsley twice daily and give her 1 hour twice daily on her own to eat her food.

Any advice/help/first hand experience of this problem would be of great help and much appreciated.

Thank you very much and sorry for the long message!

Sam

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:02 am

Hi Sam,
ar you the lady i spoke to on the phone recently?
if so ,i am sorry to hear it's getting worse,
Wendy

Sam

Post by Sam » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:32 pm

Hi Wendy,

No its not, Georgie has imroved slighlty with more finadyn injections but it never seems to get 100% better.
Thanks for your concerns

Sam

Sam

update

Post by Sam » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:40 pm

Hi,

I just thought I would give you an update on Georgie. She has deteriorated over the weekend and she has gone off her food and very reluctant to get up. She is going to the vets on Wednesday for xrays, joint taps and abdominal ultrasound so I will let you know the outcome.

Sam

Sam

Post by Sam » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:55 pm

Hi,

Georgie didn't make it to the vets as she started mouth breathing when we tried to transport her, so we have not transported her. Her breathing is very fast and she has been injected with finadyne today but I have been told that it is a very poor prognosis as she is unwilling to get up. I am coming to terms with this and will make a decision on her future.

Sorry for the sad ending

Sam

Dean

Post by Dean » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:20 pm

Sam
I am sorry that I cannot give any further advice.
Good luck,
Dean

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:08 pm

thinking of you Sam,

love Wendy

kaz g

Post by kaz g » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:33 pm

Best of luck Sam.

Sam

Post by Sam » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:15 pm

Hi,
Thank you for all your support especially Wendy and Dean for the telephone advice. The vet was due on Friday but couldn't come out. On Saturday she was up most of the day and has got stronger every day and she is getting her appetie back. I have contacted a vet who is willing to travel with a mobile xray and ultrasound machine so that should be happening soon. So Georgie is a little fighter and I am certainly not going to give up on her yet.
Thanks again and will let you know what diagnosis is made
Sam

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:35 pm

fingers crossed then Sam,
pigs are pretty robust aren't they?
i have brought piglets back to full health when they have actually appeared dead. It's a lot better than looking after sheep!

Sam

back to full health

Post by Sam » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:22 pm

Hi,
Just an update on Georgie, she is back to full health, put on weight and just doing great. She has been on metacam (off licence) but I am reducing this over a period of time.
Thanks again, and yes kunes are amazing creatures and I feel Georgie really did come back from the dead and little Pugsley is really happy to have his pal back to full health
Sam

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:35 pm

do we know what it was?

Di

Lame Pig

Post by Di » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:26 pm

Good news Sam. So pleased Georgie is back to good health. I find it a bit worrying that you vet wouldn't/couldn't come out! Do you often have this problem?

Di

Jane

Another Lame Pig

Post by Jane » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:47 am

I too have have a castrated male, and his sister, a week last Saturday Jim was lame on his left hind leg. The vet came out and we concluded that the pain was in his hip area, he had a finadyne injection and she left some finadyne paste. He was back to 100% until the paste ran out, then he gradually got worse until we were back to square one. I fetched him some more finadyne paste and he is ok again. Other than the lameness he is quite happy and eating well!

The vet is coming out again tomorrow, she suggested on the phone that it may be arthritus (he's nearly 2)! I was hoping it was just a trapped nerve or something like that. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem, or any history of arthritus??

Thanks Jane :?

Sam

georgie

Post by Sam » Sat May 10, 2008 2:24 pm

Hi,
I do have severe problems with vets coming out and they don't seem to be interested in treating them either which is quite worrying. I am a veterinary nurse, but I called the vet out when Georgie was still ill because she started with a bad cough. The vet came out didn't listen to her chest and also didn't being any medication or a prescription book. I had to ask my vet where I work to make out a prescription!
Georgie is still doing extremely well, think it could have been septic arthritis but no official diagnosis but thank you all for your kind wishes

Sam