Vet recommendations Surrey/London?

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
PigletsHersham

Vet recommendations Surrey/London?

Post by PigletsHersham » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:58 pm

Hi there,

We have four kunekune pigs and one pot bellied at our children's playcentre in Hersham, Surrey. We haven't had the best experiences with vets etc who have been rather clueless on occasion and rough and /or unsure in handling.

We would really like some recommendations for vets /farriers that are used to dealing with these pigs and have the right equipment on hand. Mainly for trimming trotters and regular worming/demiting. We do not have to move our pigs much so we do not own boards etc and they haven't been trained in any way. Not sure if this makes it any harder to find someone. ?

Thanks in advance for your help

toni

Re: Vet recommendations Surrey/London?

Post by toni » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:45 pm

Hello, I am based in West London and have two kunekune pigs.

I use Westpoint Vets http://www.westpointfarmvets.co.uk who have always been fantastic and have visited within 24 hours whenever I've asked them to come and see my pigs. I have used Peter Aiken and Ami Sawran and they are both delightful and knowledgeable. I worm my pigs myself twice a year to avoid the vet's fees but have used them for de-tusking and when one of my pigs got flu.

I don't think it will make it harder for the vet if your pigs aren't used to boards as long as they're used to being handled.