Tusks

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
simon

Tusks

Post by simon » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:16 pm

I can't find much information on de-tusking a boar. Could someone point me in the right direction?

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:32 pm

the vet will do it with a cheese wire thing. you need to restrain the boar with a rope snare and it takes a few minutes.

simon

Post by simon » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:38 pm

Thanks Wendy.
Would a vet also extract them completely...presumably they would never grow back...or is that not the done thing?

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:42 pm

don't think so, it takes years for them to grow back so it wouldn't be worth it,

Dawn Waller

Re tusks

Post by Dawn Waller » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:40 pm

Hello, Not sure if I'm supposed to post a fresh post or if I can use this as I have a very similar question? Do kunekunes always need to be detusked? I have two 18month old castrated boars. They have quite small tusks that are making their top lips bulge a bit but they're not sore. If the tusks end up protruding out of the mouth but still don't cause discomfort are they Ok to grow as long as they like or are there other reasons to chop them (or do they always cause problems?) Many thanks for any advice and feel free to tell me to start a new posting if that's what I'm supposed to do!
Dawn

simon

Post by simon » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:12 pm

Boars (gnerally) don't need de-tusking for any health reason.
I was originally asking about a whole boar. Personally I think its a good idea to de-tusk whole boars incase they decide to act a bit 'alpha male'.
Castrated males are obviously different. So its a personal choice.

Dawn Waller

re tusks

Post by Dawn Waller » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:57 pm

Thank you Simon. It was bad enough when the vet tried to inject them with ivomec, The thought of trying to restrain them for that procedure fills me with dread. They'll happily let me cuddle them normally but instantly know when I'm up to something and are off!
I just hope the tusks manage to grow past their top lips easily and don't cause any problems. thanks again!

kaz g

Post by kaz g » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:57 pm

Hi Dawn

I have a castrated boar and his tusks come out over his top lip. We have never had a problem. He is almost 5 and they aren't huge but they have never needed trimming back yet. Just see how you go :D. The only time he got it caught was when he somehow got his tusk under the hem of my trousers!!

Kaz G

redgeorge

Post by redgeorge » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:16 am

My intact and castrated boar both have long tusks. However my castrated boar had to have his trimmed as they were digging into his face and would cause an infection if left. The vet came and cheese wired them, I had to restrain him (pig not vet lol) and put a metal hoop in his mouth so he couldnt close it and then the vet sawed them off with the cheese wire, poor porky didnt like it at all! but they are fine now and not growing into his face anymore.

Di

Tusks

Post by Di » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:10 am

I had my boar's tusk taken down for a show. I restrained with noose over his nose and vet sawed with cheese wire. Archie made a lot of noise but didn't struggle, then just shook his head and walked off!

Di