Water supply to pigs

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
MargaretMiles

Water supply to pigs

Post by MargaretMiles » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:22 pm

Currently I have two pigs and supply water in an open trough which we clean out regularly. This is quite a labour intensive method and I wondered if anyone has some better ideas. I have a hospepipe that leads down to their paddock which currently fills the open trough. I wondered about having a water butt that could supply down to a single drinker that gave the pigs water when activated by them pressing a tab or sucking from a nipple. The water could be supplied from the butt and it would then be much easier for us to clean out the butt that should require less regular cleaning as it would be covered. Also, the water supplied to the pigs should be more reliably clean as it would not be exposed to the open air.

simon

Re: Water supply to pigs

Post by simon » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:14 am

The best long term solution is to bury an MDPE pipe from wherever the hosepipe comes from to either a bowl drinker or a pig drinker: http://www.fisheralvin.com/product-cate ... ig/page/2/

MargaretMiles

Re: Water supply to pigs

Post by MargaretMiles » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:29 pm

Simon -- thanks you for this thought. I was really trying to create a system that avoided burying a pipe and allowing me to move a hose to say a couple of different drinkers in two different paddocks.