Boar piglet with a head tilt

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
Tim McLoughlin

Boar piglet with a head tilt

Post by Tim McLoughlin » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:18 pm

Hi

I have a lovely black boar piglet who is now about three months old although was unwell a week or so back with a middle ear infection. As a result of the infection he seems to be left with a slight head tilt. I was hoping to use him as a stud boar and show him but both plans seem in question. The vet has said she would be happy to castrate him should the head tilt stay around for a another week or so.

What would members do?

All the best,

Tim

claire86

Re: Boar piglet with a head tilt

Post by claire86 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:08 pm

I can't help with your decision as I'm not an owner, but I have seen head tilts from middle ear disease in other species linger for many months and some are permanent...

Tim McLoughlin

Post by Tim McLoughlin » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:50 am

Hi, yes indeed Claire, the vet said it might be permanent. He's happy and well in all other regards though, quite a little character...often found in the house! :D

simon

Post by simon » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:53 pm

A head tilt caused by an infection wouldn't affect his DNA, so therefore wouldn't be passed onto any offspring. I wouldn't imagine it would affect his performance as a stud boar.

Tim McLoughlin

Post by Tim McLoughlin » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:59 pm

Thanks for the reply Simon, that's what we'll do. He's a very lively little chap in all other regards. Thanks again, :D