Older sow bleeding from vagina

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
carrie100

Older sow bleeding from vagina

Post by carrie100 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:21 pm

I don't know if anyone can help me. About 10 days ago I noticed that my sow's tail was bloodstained and subsequently found a stool that had a small (about size of 50p) blood mark on it. Initially I thought that she may have had piles. I subsequently noticed it was bloodstained again but this time found a large blood clot mixed within it and called the vet. He examined her rectum and vagina but as he could find no obvious source of blood loss, he believed it was a problem with an injury to her tail and said that it would eventually heal itself. For the next couple of days I kept a close eye on her and when I visibly saw drops of blood on the ground I bandaged her tail in an attempt to establish once and for all where the blood was coming from. The next morning the bandage was bloodstained and this I time I could visibly see small amounts of blood discharging from her vagina. The new vet who came believes (after liaising with a colleague) that she may have polycystic ovaries. She has been given a shot of antibiotics but is still bleeding. At the moment she is still well in herself and eating but I am afraid that if the bleeding doesn't stop she will eventually die or we will have to put her down. Does anyone have experience of something similar. The vet informed me that there is an injection licenced for cows (if it is indeed a polycystic ovaries) that would stop the bleeding by altering the hormones, but it is not known whether it could help/aggravate the situation in pigs.

22.12.14 - This morning it looks like she has had some form of prolapse as I found what looks to be an internal organ within the arc. I don't know whether it could possibly be her uterus. The organ appears to be filled with blood but no blood was emitted when she passed it. She is still behaving normally and keen for her food! Am currently waiting for a vet to get back to me for the third time. Anybody had a similar experience?

simon

Re: Older sow bleeding from vagina

Post by simon » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:22 pm

I obviously defer to the vet. But I'm curious why they think its a polycistic problem. Surely theres any number of possible causes? All of which would be helped by antibiotics.

claire86

Post by claire86 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:54 pm

Hi, I'll see if I can help you :)

Firstly, vaginal bleeding can either be from the urinary tract or the genital tract.
If it was from the urinary tract, you would expect signs linked to a possible UTI (urinating little and often, straining to urinate etc) so it doesn't sound like this is the case here but a urine sample could help rule this out.
If it was from the genital tract, there are a few possibilities (and here I hope that "simon's" comment 'all of which would be helped by antibiotics' was tongue in cheek!). Pigs don't overtly menstruate so any vaginal bleeding in the absence of obvious trauma, should be thought of as abnormal. I haven't seen a pig with polycystic ovaries but also haven't heard of the condition causing vaginal bleeding - it generally causes poor fertility as it does in cattle (see this paper...http://vri.cz/docs/vetmed/52-9-413.pdf). Having said this, I have seen 2 rats with vaginal bleeding due to polycystic ovaries! Polycystic ovaries would be easily seen on a scan if this is possible. As for treatment, the drug companies often have 'off license' data for use of their products on animals that they are not designed to be used on.
Secondly, it isn't possible for her pass her uterus completely! They can prolapse it (rarely) but it will always remain attached but inside out, and nearly always around farrowing time. They will also be extremely ill! I wonder could this have been a big blood clot? I presume there's absolutely no chance she could have been pregnant and is aborting???
Uterine or ovarian tumours could also cause vaginal bleeding and again, may well be visible on a scan.

What did the vet say today?

siouxcox

Post by siouxcox » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:47 pm

I do hope that your problem has been resolved.
I very sadly lost my 2 1/2 tear old kunekune last Friday due to similar problems. She was bleeding from her vagina over new year and we called the vet who put her on regumate.
When her cycle started again she again started bleeding and quickly became very anaemic/ off her food/ lethargic. We were told that she may possibly have a uterine tumour and arrangements were made for her to be seen at the veterinary hospital in Cambridge, unfortunately we never got her there as she went downhill very rapidly overnight and we lost her last Friday evening.
The vet performed a post mortem and she was found to have multiple cysts on both her ovaries.
I would urge anyone to take quick action if this happens to one of your sows. We did all we could but she is sorely missed by the family and by her sister.

siouxcox

Post by siouxcox » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:10 pm

In addition to my previous post - the regumate did its job and stopped the bleeding.
The second time round we also found a large clot - it was very dense and we too thought it was something else- looked like a muscular tube about 9 inches long.
The biggest problem was that she had not had time to regenerate sufficient red blood cells between bleeds , it apparently takes about 100 days!!
That is why it is so important to contact the vet as soon as the bleed happens again- if it does.
I hope your sow has recovered?

siouxcox

Post by siouxcox » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:10 pm

In addition to my previous post - the regumate did its job and stopped the bleeding.
The second time round we also found a large clot - it was very dense and we too thought it was something else- looked like a muscular tube about 9 inches long.
The biggest problem was that she had not had time to regenerate sufficient red blood cells between bleeds , it apparently takes about 100 days!!
That is why it is so important to contact the vet as soon as the bleed happens again- if it does.
I hope your sow has recovered?

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:59 pm

These posts are really helpful for others who may find themselves in a similar situation. Thank you for posting and for the feed back.

I wonder if you might consider us turning this into an article in our Newsletter so we can potentially help others in spotting this problem.

If you would be happy to make a contribution please could you email me on samjonesbkkps@aol.com and i can forward you onto our Newsletter editor.
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

jemmy

Post by jemmy » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:25 pm

Me too, I wanted to thank you for your rich in information posts, glad you are here!

carrie100

Post by carrie100 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:52 pm

Following my post in December regarding my sow bleeding from her vagina, her condition rapidly deteriorated in a matter of hours - when I first spotted what I thought could be a potential prolapse (this was then discovered to be a massive blood clot), she appeared to be fine in herself, an hour later she appeared more lethargic, an hour later she wouldn't let me anyway near her and actively ran away from me. At that point I took the decision to have her put to sleep as she was obviously distressed and it was quite clear that the vet didn't have any more answers. The company that removed her body offered to open her up and send me a photograph of her womb which I then passed onto the vet. The response I got was as follows:

"I thought you would be interested to know that I have done some more research into Mash’s condition and within our practice we have had a similar case which unfortunately ended the same way as Mash.

It seems that certain breeds of pig are more predisposed to uterine tumours and especially given Mash’s age this is certainly a possibility. I was able to post mortem the other pig and she had a much paler uterus though both were paler than I’d expect in a normal pig. Compared with that uterus Mash’s certainly looks enlarged so it could be that cancer had a part to play. In the other pig’s case we found many cystic structures on the ovaries. It may be that a suitable in feed hormone or a course of injections could remove these cysts but from my research it seems that the only way to truly cure these animals may have been surgery in a referral institution – either a full ovariohysterectomy or ovariectomy.

I hope that helps shed some light on the situation and once again I am sorry for your loss. "

I have today returned from a weekend away and have discovered that my remaining sow is presenting the same symptoms. It is possible that both sows were related (I "inherited" the pigs so do not know of their provenance). I have the vet coming in the morning, but feel doubtful that anything can be done to help her. If anybody has any other suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. In the event that we lose her too, we will be left with a gelded boar who I will need to rehome. Please contact me via the discussions board if you think you may be able to help.

carrie100

Post by carrie100 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:53 pm

Following my post in December regarding my sow bleeding from her vagina, her condition rapidly deteriorated in a matter of hours - when I first spotted what I thought could be a potential prolapse (this was then discovered to be a massive blood clot), she appeared to be fine in herself, an hour later she appeared more lethargic, an hour later she wouldn't let me anyway near her and actively ran away from me. At that point I took the decision to have her put to sleep as she was obviously distressed and it was quite clear that the vet didn't have any more answers. The company that removed her body offered to open her up and send me a photograph of her womb which I then passed onto the vet. The response I got was as follows:

"I thought you would be interested to know that I have done some more research into Mash’s condition and within our practice we have had a similar case which unfortunately ended the same way as Mash.

It seems that certain breeds of pig are more predisposed to uterine tumours and especially given Mash’s age this is certainly a possibility. I was able to post mortem the other pig and she had a much paler uterus though both were paler than I’d expect in a normal pig. Compared with that uterus Mash’s certainly looks enlarged so it could be that cancer had a part to play. In the other pig’s case we found many cystic structures on the ovaries. It may be that a suitable in feed hormone or a course of injections could remove these cysts but from my research it seems that the only way to truly cure these animals may have been surgery in a referral institution – either a full ovariohysterectomy or ovariectomy.

I hope that helps shed some light on the situation and once again I am sorry for your loss. "

I have today returned from a weekend away and have discovered that my remaining sow is presenting the same symptoms. It is possible that both sows were related (I "inherited" the pigs so do not know of their provenance). I have the vet coming in the morning, but feel doubtful that anything can be done to help her. If anybody has any other suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. In the event that we lose her too, we will be left with a gelded boar who I will need to rehome. Please contact me via the discussions board if you think you may be able to help.

carrie100

Post by carrie100 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:53 pm