very sick pig

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
trialscars

very sick pig

Post by trialscars » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:39 pm

We have two kunekune girls possibly 4 years old, one has become extremely I'll,passing blood.At first thought she was in season but went on too long.vet has been twice and given antibiotics and anti inflammatory. Her name is Beryl. She is now passing clots,can't eat and just lying down.the vet isn't sure what's wrong,but thinks severe kidney trouble,cancer or poisoning. Has anyone else experienced this??? The vet is coming again in the morning.We are devastated,as she is our family!!

biddydog

Re: very sick pig

Post by biddydog » Fri May 02, 2014 3:01 pm

Sorry can't be of any practical help but just hope Beryl is recovering steadily. It sounds awful.

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Fri May 02, 2014 6:03 pm

I too cannot offer personal experience on this one but I will go and ask people who may know and get back to you asap....have you any updates since you wrote the original post?

Perhaps we can get Claire to comment if she reads this....I'll try and track her down.
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Fri May 02, 2014 6:14 pm

I have messaged a couple of people, hopefully they will come to this post, or I will report back......let us know how she is and if there is any change.

BKKPS Chairperson

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Fri May 02, 2014 6:16 pm

What antibiotics and anti inflam was given, do you know?

BKKPS Chairperson

claire86

Post by claire86 » Fri May 02, 2014 7:12 pm

Thanks for the heads-up Sam :)

Few questions - do we know where the blood is coming from ie. vulva or rectum? Is it when she urinates or defaecates? Or does it just drip out? Any straining when she does so? Did this come on suddenly ie. within hours, or gradually, ie days/weeks? Is she due in season? When was her last season? Has she been pregnant?
Is it pure blood? Or looks flecked? Any smell to it? Is there any blood from anywhere else, ie mouth or nose? Do her gums look pink or white? Does she have a temperature? Which antibiotics/antiinflammatories were used? And for how long?

If it's vulval, it's either urinary or reproductive. Urinary causes include cystitis, pyelonephritis (kidney infection), neoplasia, urinary stones. Reproductive causes include trauma ie. wounds to the vagina, metritis/endometritis (infections of the womb and womb lining), vaginitis (infection of the vagina), or neoplasia.
Systemic reasons are numerous and could include any causes of haemorrhage or clotting disorders. There will likely be other external signs ie nose bloods, pale gums. They could include poisonings, severe infections and immune-mediated diseases.
Rectal bleeding is a gastro-intestinal problem. If the blood is dark, it indicates an issue 'high up' ie. mouth/oesophagus/stomach; is it's fresh, then lower bowel. Again causes are numerous and include infections (bacterial, viral or parasitic), neoplastic, other benign bleeding masses, trauma or gastric ulcers.

Please come back to me with answers to the questions and I'll try and help as much as I can :)