Pig with wonky snout!

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
dawnieday

Pig with wonky snout!

Post by dawnieday » Thu May 22, 2008 2:35 pm

One of my kune pigs has developed a wonky snout! :?
One side of her face seems a bit compressed and her snout is squashed to one side... When we first got her she was perfect, a really cute good looking piglet but now her features are very uneven. She is 7 months old and the other gilt we bought at the same time is still perfect (has a flat snout). Could it be due to disease (she seems well) or just the fact that she is growing up? If I breed from her will the piglets develop wonky snouts too?!
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Dawn

claire86

Post by claire86 » Thu May 22, 2008 7:07 pm

Hi Dawn,

This could be a caused by a number of things. Causes may include trauma of some sort, infection (in the nose or bone) or growth deformity which is only just coming to light.

One possible, though highly unlikely cause, is a disease called Atropic Rhinitis. This however, would present with other symptoms mainly sneezing, nasal discharge etc. further information can be found here....

http://merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp ... 121402.htm

PLEASE NOTE THESE ARE ONLY IDEAS FROM A VET STUDENT AND I AM NOT TO BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ACTIONS TAKEN BECAUSE OF THESE IDEAS

I would highly recommend consulting your vet for further investigations, and let me know how you get on!

Claire

sean cassidy

Post by sean cassidy » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:19 am

We had one little lad born like that. Looked fine when born, but could smell around corners at 4 months. Checked out by Zoo vet, no cause given, but told he'd be fine except for ' slagging at school '. Went to a customer, never heard of any problems.

Se