Pigs Health

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
Glynn Barton

Pigs Health

Post by Glynn Barton » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:14 pm

Hi we are new to keeping kunekune pigs and inherited them with the business 2 yeard ago, so far they have been no trouble untill now. On boxing i contacted our vet as i was worried about our 11 year old pigs bloody nose. They told me to keep an eye on it and if her health got any worse they would come out. She had a bad cold and snotty nose beforehand. She got better and regained her appitete. Now again she has a bloody nose. Does anyone know if this is common problem in older pigs?
Thanks
Shirley

The Rushbury Pig

Re: Pigs Health

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:55 pm

Hello there, good to hear from you via phone the other day.....I missed this on here sorry.

I had a pig who used to have regular nose bleeds but these did not amount to much and frequently corresponded with feed time. My vet suggested it was just a weak blood vessel in the nose. it was worse in hot weather but never caused any major problems.

As your kunekune are older I would recommend you do ask the vet again if you have concerns. Do you know whether this was something that happened with the previous owners?

I hope all goes well, please let us know if you get any specific advice or information relating to this so that we can then share with others :D
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.