Can someone help please place by jaw on boar

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
gabby

Can someone help please place by jaw on boar

Post by gabby » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:36 pm

Hello
One week ago I took on 2 more kune's. I have had 2 girls for 4 yrs and just got a mum and castrated boy, approx age 13 and 10 so I am told.
The other day, I thought my boy had some poo stuck on the side of his face. It's there again today but looks like it's being excreted from him.
Can anyone shed any light on what this may be please before I call a vet. Many thanks
Gabby
Pets help make a house a home

simon

Re: Can someone help please place by jaw on boar

Post by simon » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:41 pm

Could it be an abscess in the cheek, or even somewhere the teeth or tusks have pierced through the side of the face? Chewed food would then ooze out.

wendy scu

Re: Can someone help please place by jaw on boar

Post by wendy scu » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:48 pm

this is not an abcess but a fairly common fault in the kunekune. i have had three pigs with it and i know of several others. it is caused by compacted food collecting in the jaw cavity and it then comes out through the side of the face. i have lots of photos of this and once wrote an article for the newsletter about it.
i have had different courses of treatment for my pigs but the best action by far was to leave it alone. keep it clean, keep an eye on it but don't go cutting, stitching, injecting or draining