Pig lame/spinal/leg issues?

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
Paisley

Pig lame/spinal/leg issues?

Post by Paisley » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:05 pm

Hello
Extremely worried about my pig peanut, he's roughly 2 years old lives with his brother of the same age. On Thursday I noticed a slight limp but thought he just laid funny. Last time he actually stood was Friday morning it's now sunday. He seemed wobbly and hesitant to put weight on one hind leg. Weather been cold wet and down right rubbish.
He's eating fine, drinking fine as just taking it to him as he just won't get up he tries but can't. Checked his hoofs nothing hot or stuck, touched all his legs spine etc he's not crying out.
Me and mum tried to stand him today and he just squealed and grunted not sure if from pain or annoyance. I'm new to pigs had them 6 months but I'd be devestated to lose him. Any guidance or comments would be much appreciated

The Rushbury Pig

Re: Pig lame/spinal/leg issues?

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:15 pm

You will need to get a vet to check this. It could be a lot of things ranging from ear infections (Wendy will, I am sure, advise on that one) to a spinal problem which I have experience of. It sounds less like a leg issue from what you say but that cannot be ruled out either.

Has he been walking around in a lot of mud after all this rain, this is a typical reason for such symptons?

Is he tending to sit?

What exactly was he like when he was up and about, a distinct limp or just staggering about unable to stand?

Either way your piggy needs some anti inflammatory/pain relief and a more thorough checking out.
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

Paisley

Post by Paisley » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:34 pm

Hello
Had the vet out today have him high dose of anti biotics, as well as pain killers and anti immflamatories.
He wobbled on his legs when he last stood Friday, vet saw movement in his feet and said hopefully not a spinal injury.
He's being re assessed on Wednesday, although when me and mum put him back into his bed he actually stood all be it wobbly and took few steps. So wether meds from the vet helped I've no ideA, he wasn't puttin any weight on his rear left foot.
He's still eating drinking and liking a belly rub, an seems no different in his mannerisms apart from the obvious mobility issue. Best way to describe his movements is he lays flat and pulls himself along occasionally shifting on his bum. All goes well I'm hoping for a slight improvement but I'm prepared to let him pass if there's no hope as I'd hate him to suffer.
Should I really stock his bedding for more comfort etc?

Paisley

Post by Paisley » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:31 pm

Quick update...peanut stood and did small walk last night..amazing! Extremely wobbly etc but still least he's up. Again h got up for his food and came out the pen. Vet came today she's given him two more days rest and she administer more anti inflammatory and pain relief Friday. Then we shall go from there

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:52 pm

i would have said the same as Sam - anti inflamms, anti bio's and keep him quiet. could be septic arthritis and as its responding to the treatment, let's hope it is :)

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:45 pm

Please keep us updated on his progress :)

BKKPS Chairperson

Paisley

Post by Paisley » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:31 pm

Shall keep you all posted. Hopefully this second lot of anti flame etc tomorrow will knock whatever it is completely.
He'a still having spurts of having a stand little walk, so keeping positive

Di

Post by Di » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:27 am

I had a similar problem a few years ago with a sow. My vet came and said that pigs often get inflammation of the spine which causes standing problems, etc. He gave anti inflammatories and she has been fine since. No re occurance.

Paisley

Post by Paisley » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:32 pm

Thank you all for your comments. Peanut now a lot better he comes out into his paddock for his food and drink, standing lot longer and bit more wandering. He's still gettig better so has little sit downs when he's chomping. Safe to say I'm over the moon and hopefully he continues to a full recovery

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:11 pm

Good News indeed :D

BKKPS Chairperson

Joe Alexander

Post by Joe Alexander » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:33 pm

Paisley , hi , just a query all the symptoms are now present in our boar kk , we did have the vet out twice with painkiller injections etc , on the advice of Wendy . Still not improved and he has trouble standing on his back legs . Out of interest using anti inflammatories , has your pig improved , nod what medication name was prescribed for him , all the best Joe .

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:01 am

medications were metacam (anti inflamm) and Betamox or pen and strep.