Sticky pig

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
Koen

Sticky pig

Post by Koen » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:00 am

One of mine gilts (2 years old) is about to farrow.
She always had a bad skin but it never really affected her general condition, appetite,...

Now it seem worse again, and I suspect Greasy Skin disease but it shouldn't appear in adult sow normally. She has dry skin but when it rains e.g. she got large area's wich are brown and greasy. Sometimes when she's standing in the rain, the water runnin of her back turns brown.
Is this Greasy Skin disease or are there other conditions similar to this?

It never jumped to my other sow or boar. Can it affect her piglets?

Thx for the advice.

The Rushbury Pig

Re: Sticky pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:57 pm

If this is greasy pig then the piglets are at a high risk of getting it. Usually sows that are prone to getting it are injected pre-farrowing to reduce the risk to the sow and piglets. I would check with your vet on this one as once piglets have got it it can quickly escalate and result in death but it is easily treated.
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:04 pm

I've looked up a post where a breeder consulted Bob Stevenson about a pig she thought had Greasy Pig and her piglets had also come down with it and he diagnosed "parakeratosis (zinc deficiency)" or "idiopathic hyperkeratotic dermatitis".

This may also be a consideration........
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

Koen

Post by Koen » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:56 am

The sow does not smell bad (sometimes you read this about greasy pig). She doesn't got real scab with pus in either.
I washed her back with some plain water and now the greasy stuff is gone. I'm gonna repeat this today with a little bit of antiseptic soap in the water.

One of the piglets (14days old) of her sister, they use the same stable, has got a wound on his face with a scab on but no bad condition or bad appetite at all so far. I desinfected it with isobetadine. The other 4 piglets are fine.
When I read about greasy pig disease, I often find that a piglet that catches it will get lethargic real soon (2-3 days).

So I got some hope that it is not greasy pig...