Straining to urinate

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
PollyRichard

Straining to urinate

Post by PollyRichard » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:33 pm

Hi,
Our much loved 4 year old castrate Teddy Trousers is straining to urinate and the flow is drops and dribbles. No blood as far as we can see. We are following Wendy's advice by feeding lots of apples and some cranberry juice. The vet has been and started him on anti-biotics and an injection of muscle relaxant. We think this is all we can do except watch and hope for improvement in the next day or so. Does anyone else have any additional advice? Thanks, Polly and Richard

wendy scu

Re: Straining to urinate

Post by wendy scu » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:28 am

hope things are improving for him?
there is a thread on here somewhere from someone who had this problem and did in fact have their pig catheterized - something i was told was impossible with pigs. a great deal of money later he recovered. hopefully teddy will react well to apples and muscle relaxants

PollyRichard

Post by PollyRichard » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:58 pm

Ted has made no progress after a week of anti-biotics, muscle relaxants, apples and a change of food recommended by the vet. It has been a week of emotional ups and downs and we have decided not to continue any of the medical treatment as it was stressful for Ted and didn't seem to have made any difference. They can't do anything more for him locally and we are reluctant to put him through travelling or invasive treatment elsewhere. On the positive side, he is still urinating slowly and with difficulty, so we will take each day as it comes and see if he can pull through. Thanks for your support Wendy.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:13 am

oh no, so sorry to hear that,i will keep my fingers crossed. :(

PollyRichard

Post by PollyRichard » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:15 pm

Well, after a tough Friday, he's still with us. He struggles in the mornings, but over the weekend he improved as each day went on. He has also started to drink from his water now and then, something we hadn't seen him do for a week. He is currently having his normal feed replaced with Countrywide Pedigree Ram mix with Ammonium chrloride 7500.00 mg/Kg. We think this is having a positive effect. The question is, how much is too much? Anyone have any views on this? He's also eating apples for England. He's keeping his chin up, and so are we, mostly. Thanks Wendy, and everyone out there.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:53 pm

personally and from what the vet told me when i had the problem with Rocky, i would keep the concentrates to an absolute minimum as its this which causes the problem in the first place. if you can keep the weight on him with grass, fruit.veg etc then less is best . still watching and hoping x