Flies, insects and wallows

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
biddydog

Flies, insects and wallows

Post by biddydog » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:32 am

As the warm summer stays with us, flies are increasingly a problem in the pigs' wallow.Two questions:
Are there any biting insects that can cause problems for Kune's?
Is there anyway of safely reducing fly numbers around the wallow?
Thanks

klorinth

Re: Flies, insects and wallows

Post by klorinth » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:29 pm

I'm having more issues around the chickens not the wallow. Only difference is that my water for the pigs has apple cider vinegar in it. It might be enough.
Our new little farm.

Pigs: Berkshire
Sheep: Shetland, Texel
Chickens: Chantecler, Dark Cornish, Ameraucana
Dogs: Norrbottenspets, Akbash

"Do what you do and improve what you do."

biddydog

Post by biddydog » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:16 pm

Interesting- a couple of questions too.
1. Why do you put apple cider vinegar in the pigs' water (heard of it for chickens and worms but not pigs?
how much vinegar do you put in?
Thanks

klorinth

Post by klorinth » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:11 am

I use apple cider vinegar in the portable water tank that is out in the pasture. The vinegar keeps algae from growing in the water. it is also a good thing for digestion in my sheep that share the water tank. The vinegar has nothing to do with the pigs specifically, it is just a question of water quality maintenance.

In the big pig barns around me they have automated systems for adding hydrogen peroxide to the water for the same reason. It cleans the water before it gets to the pigs. Clean all the time. I do the same thing for my own well water. Peroxide kills everything in the water but it does not prevent the algae from coming back. The vinegar continues to work because it changes the PH of the water.

I am only guessing that it is helping with the flies.

Apple cider vinegar is also used as a drench with sheep. It is added to the water and given as an oral bolus during the two weeks leading up to breeding. It is supposed to help with fertility. There are those that believe it increases the rate of ewe lambs, but I just can't quite accept that one. I haven't been able to figure out the physiology of it. Decreased PH of the females mucous causes an increased loss of male sperm??? I don't see how that could be it.

Anyway, the vinegar is good at controlling the growth of algae in the water tanks and troughs. Simple!

Oh ya... quantity... 0.4% solution. Very little actually. To get that I just add 4L to a 1000L tank and then fill it with water. 2L to 500L, 1L to 250L, 0.5L to 125L, and so on. Supposedly if you can get non-pasturized vinegar it is better for the animals.
Our new little farm.

Pigs: Berkshire
Sheep: Shetland, Texel
Chickens: Chantecler, Dark Cornish, Ameraucana
Dogs: Norrbottenspets, Akbash

"Do what you do and improve what you do."