jake re teeth

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
jake

jake re teeth

Post by jake » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:02 am

ok had the neighbour down a manly man who had 120 pigs at one stage of his life, he was brave enough to help me , i noosed jakes mouth and he prised it open after some calming time and we found jake has some sort of abscess on the roof of his mouth. i have the vet coming first thing in the morning to see if she can remove it- anyone had any experience with these?

biddydog

Re: jake re teeth

Post by biddydog » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:06 pm

Sorry no experience of this problem but good luck with the latest diagnosis. Poor old boy he sounds thoroughly miserable! It must be sore iof he can't even take his beloved banana :(

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:52 am

Wendy is familiar with the abscess that ends up tracking up near the eye socket but i don't know if she has experience of this....I'll copy this to her in case she hasn't yet seen it.
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:08 am

if there is a visible abcess then i would carry on with the course of action your taking with the vet.

you may have seen articles and a study in the newsletters about the problems with abcesses in the jaw/teeth/mouth? it is quite a common thing it seems in kunes, particularly those with a shorter squashed face. I have had several in my time and all have been treated differently.from a full scale operation under general anesthetic to doing absolutely nothing at all.
The one who has fared the best by far was the one with whom we did nothing at all . he is now 13 years old, has a small 'drainage hole' in the side of his head (which appeared on its own) and is in excellent health.

I'd love to hear more on this when your vet has been and any photos would be very welcome
Thanks
Wendy

Di

Post by Di » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:56 am

One of my sows developed a swelling on her cheek which made her look like a hampster. I guessed it was a similar problem of food compacting. It did not seem to give her any pain - I could prod it. I rang the vet and by the time he came it had 'burst' and drained out the outside of her cheek. Vet cleaned it out by using water and antiseptic in a large syringe, gave her antibiotics and she has had no ill effects. The hole is still there and I see chewed up grass oozing out occasionally.

She seems fine and eating as normal.

jake

Post by jake » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:04 pm

jake had surgery yesterday to remove the growth. the vet removed a tumour 10cm long 5 cm wide and 3cm thick. it was like a cauliflower so had stem attached to the roof of the mouth then mass grew out from that. any tumours in the mouth are very viscous which means that have a lot of blood supply hence why the first vet didn't want to cut it just on farm conditions with no back up. they were going to intubate him during the surgery but couldn't fit the tube past the growth, nor could they fit the device to cortorise the wound down as the stem of the growth was so far down. luckily the blood coagulated quickly. the mass has been sent to the lab to see if it is cancerous so if it comes back again we can make more of an informed decision. usually growths growing outward are more often benign than growths inward so fingers crossed. my main concern is getting him to eat now as last food was last sat am which was only a couple of morsels. i did ask them to tube feed him whilst he was under but they didn't want to do that as there was so much blood they didn't want any going into his lungs while they did it. he is drinking and i have syringed yoghurt into his mouth but very hard to tell how much he is ingesting. even the blessed banana is still not appetizing.
i hadn't seen the newsletter regarding mouth problems i will look for them i presume they are on this site as i spent two hours trying to google any info which is how i found this site (jake lives in canterbury new zealand). i will photocopy them and give to the vets.

jake

Post by jake » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:07 pm

sorry had a quick look -can u direct me to the study you mentioned please cheers

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:25 am

the bit that was in the newlsetter was actually from a vet in NZ and is definitely not what your boy had,
ours (and this study) are the compacted food problem which di describes above. Gosh, what an ordeal for you and Jake, i do hope the outcome is good for you both

It was in the NZ kk breaders association newsletter so you may have access to it through your own society?

jake

Post by jake » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:30 am

jake was still not eating this am only drinking water, so i requested that he have some more pain relief and also b vitamin injection which also has an appetite stimulant. being a public holiday the vet very kindly met me down the road after a call out- unfortunately someone stopped to ask directions, was a bit awkward me standing beside an unmarked ute holding 2 syringes!! i did inform the motorist he was a vet and not a drug dealer as he looked me up and down :/ about an hour after jake managed to consume a whole 2 cup smoothy which was a wonderful sight. chocolate flavour was offered for breakfast but it was molasses that was downed. i put him back in with the other 4 kunekune's in case he was depressed from being away from them, he did seem brighter after being reunited- snuggled up in the sty with his head pocking out so he can see the others. hopefully tomorrow will see more eating.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:44 am

nice story :wink:

Its amazing really that he is eating at all after that kind of op. If he were human, or dog even he would have an intravenous drip. Good for Jake, i do hope he continues to thrive.
I'd like to copy and paste this story for our next newsletter if thats ok with you so it better have a very happy ending :)

biddydog

Post by biddydog » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:57 am

I've been waiting to hear how things were going with Jake (amazed he was in NZ for one thing). Great to see he enjoyed the smoothie and it reunited with his sty mates.
You are right this site is amazingly useful and hosted by really caring, knowledgable and friendly pig keepers.
Keep us informed about his progress.

jake

Post by jake » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:03 pm

well jake is still on smoothies, had an off day where he looked anemic - his gums were very pale even his stomach and feet. had some blood from surgery site and saw a couple of clots rolling around in his mouth. we added molasses and glucose to his smoothies which already consisted of 4 eggs, milk, honey and a banana. usually four of these a day hand poured into his mouth from a jug- we pour he holds then swallows. by the next morning he had coloured up again. the weather didn't help with a cold wind. a bit of soothing sunshine i'm sure would have helped him. the vet phoned as the mass had been sent away earlier to determine if it was cancerous, unfortunately the results came back inconclusive- the pathologist doesn't know what he is dealing with. mmm perhaps this is good as if it was cancer they would recognize cancer cells...? so the mass has now been sent to the North Island which i am presuming is to Massey University and i am still waiting on results. its a couple of days later now and he is eating large tux biscuits, a couple of pig nuts and silverbeet leaf. still getting smoothies as the amount of hard food is not enough for him. not interested in grazing on the grass even though it is long. i am pleased with his progress so far and await the mass results.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:30 am

still following this with great interest and am also very touched by the effort and committment you have to his recovery,
keep at it and fingers crossed for you

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:40 pm

I have only just read this thread......I shall now keep checking to see how it is all going.

As I moved down the page my heart was in my mouth hoping the news was good. What an amazing pig keeper you have been :D

Keeping my fingers crossed now that the results are good and that you continue to see further inprovements.
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

biddydog

Post by biddydog » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:04 pm

How's jake doing a couple of weeks on?? :?: