Poorly Eye

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
DeniseDulson

Poorly Eye

Post by DeniseDulson » Mon May 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Hi there - when checking our kunekune's this evening, I noticed that one of the girls has one of her eyes shut and there is "white gunk" right along here eyeline. She was fine last night and this morning so must have developed during the day today. I have just bathed with baby wipes and will also try the tea bag tip as have just read on the forum that this is really helpful too.

She didn't mind me touching her eye area so assume she's not in any pain, but would appreciate any further advice - have also checked my other 3 kunekune's and their eyes all appear clear/healthy at the moment.

Is there anything else I should be considering?

Many thanks,

Denise.

claire86

Re: Poorly Eye

Post by claire86 » Tue May 22, 2012 10:21 pm

Hi Denise
The fact she has got the eye closed may be a sign of discomfort, or just due to the discharge. The most common ocular diseases in pigs are conjunctivitis - likely bacterial, either primary or secondary ie to trauma; trauma such as banging the eye or getting straw in; or entropion, where the eyelid(s) roll in and the eyelashes rub on the eye. Without seeing it, it's hard to tell which it may be. I would try and open the eyelids and look at the eyeball itself - you are looking for reddening of the white bit of the eye, any obvious scratches or craters on the surface of the eye, obvious rubbing of the eyelids on the eyeball or cloudiness of the eyeball which may indicate interior infection or swelling. If any of these are present, get a vet to have a look. If not, keep bathing the eye gently (warm water on cotton wool is fine, or teabags) to clear the discharge and monitor. Though I would be concerned if she's holding it closed, she is in pain.

Claire

DeniseDulson

Post by DeniseDulson » Wed May 23, 2012 8:03 pm

Thanks Claire - when I checked her last night after bathing her eye in the morning, her eye was open again, but not quite as fully as normal. However, it was closed again with gunk this morning so bathed again and checked again this evening and its open/no gunk tonight - so bathed again and will do as you say and check the actual eye itself and speak to the vet if it doesn't look right. Many thanks for the advice, really appreciated.

Denise.

claire86

Post by claire86 » Wed May 23, 2012 9:57 pm

No probs, hope she's ok! :)

DeniseDulson

Post by DeniseDulson » Mon May 28, 2012 7:03 pm

Hi Claire - thanks for your advice, her eye wasn't really clearing up very quickly so I called our vet and she gave her an injection and some antibiotic cream for the eye - so fingers crossed she'll be back to her old self soon.

Denise.