Diarrhoea in piglets

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
pedro1

Diarrhoea in piglets

Post by pedro1 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:28 pm

I have just separated my two piglets from their mother and I have noticed one of them has diarrhoea and I know it's common when they are going through weaning so I brought some kaolin powder in advance to stop the diarrhoea but I don't know how much to mix in the water and how often I need to do it and for how long from Tom

The Rushbury Pig

Re: Diarrhoea in piglets

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:17 pm

If you are careful with the amount of hard feed you give and only give low protein pellets it should settle quickly. I get them onto sow breeder nuts as soon as possible, in fact, I get mine on this pre-weaning usually. If they are scouring badly, and/or you are worried, I use Spectam (from my vet). It's very easy to administer, is relatively cheap and is quick and effective. It can also be kept in the fridge and used over and over again if you wash out the tube after use. I've never used kaolin so I'm sorry I can't offer any advice on this......somebody else probably can....... :)

Hope they settle soon :D
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

pedro1

Post by pedro1 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:10 pm

Thank you for the advice and as it is only 1 of them I'm hoping it should settle down quite quickly but I don't understand why only one has got it and also I don't understand why the one has it because they have been eating fruit, veg and pig nuts from when they were a week old. This kaolin powder is a powder brought from farmrite and it is a traditionally medicine used to treat diarrhoea in animals and people. Also I don't think it is that bad as there has only been 4 small patches of diarrhoea in 3 days from Tom

truella

Post by truella » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:42 pm

Just reduce the amount of food you are giving them & try not to give them too much 'soft fruit' (banana's, pears, etc), or just feed a small quantity of sow nuts that aren't too high in protien as it sound to me as the 1 with the runs is only eating the fruit/veg.
No medication is needed if there has only been 4 tiny spots over a 3 day period.........worry when it's just running out of them THEN GET A VET & follow the vet's instructions!
Mind over Matter...........You don't mind, it doesn't matter!!!!!

pedro1

Post by pedro1 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:39 am

Ok thank you for the advice and can I ask how much are 9 week old piglets roughly suppose to weigh from Tom

truella

Post by truella » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:06 am

Can't help you on the weight of a 9wk old I'm afraid.........the only time I weigh them is when they look ready to go to the abbotoir.
Mind over Matter...........You don't mind, it doesn't matter!!!!!

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:54 am

depends on the size of the litter really but i would expect them to be about 12-15kgs healthy and well grown

pedro1

Post by pedro1 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:33 pm

Ok thank you can I ask how much should a 3 and a half year old full boar weigh and how much should 2 9 year old gilts weigh from Tom

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:16 pm

full grown kunes can weigh from 100kg to about 200kgs. the best thing to do is measure them to calculate their weight:

Measure the girth behind the front legs, multiply it by the length of the pig from top of head to where his tail joins his body and divide buy 12 this should give you a rough idea of the weight. Measure in inches and the result will be in pounds

pedro1

Post by pedro1 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:15 pm

I have a measure tape for pigs but I was wondering a rough weight for the gilts a boar from Tom

windybankfarm

Post by windybankfarm » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:51 pm

Hi I have had this problem a couple of times often with just one piglet from the litter.

I just contact my vets who make me up two syringes to inject. I is an antibiotic and 1 is an anti imflametry. I don't even get charged for these usually as the vets say its literally pence to make up.

2 injections later and its always cleared up within a day.

Hope this helps
michelle

pedro1

Post by pedro1 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:24 pm

Thank you for that advice but a couple of days after I posted this it cleared up from Tom