Need help! think 2 week old piglet is dying

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
JessieMay

Need help! think 2 week old piglet is dying

Post by JessieMay » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:47 am

I need help!!

one of my piglets out of a litter of 6, born 9th of jan is struggling to breathe
Every breath sounds like her last, very raspy and shallow, and she is very weak as she cant feed in this condition, she has no other problems, no high temperature, no scouring, no discharge nothing!
She has been like this since 4pm yesterday afternoon, every time she falls asleep she "dies", stops breathing completely and goes cold!
I have to run her under a cold tap to revive her and then she carries on lying there and struggling to breathe!

She is the 2nd biggest in the litter, none of the others (apart from runt) has any problems at all, very lively bunch all nice and fat and doing well, they are in a stable at the moment and have mud and turf to get iron from.

I have called the vet but there is not much he can suggest, he is reluctant to come out and see her as she is only 2 weeks old and showing no signs other than fever so reckons it would be a waste of my money to come out as all he could do is look at her.

I have been up with her since 5am now, I just need help :( dont know what to do

I dont think its something blocking her and no other symptoms

anyone have any suggestions

Di

Re: Need help! think 2 week old piglet is dying

Post by Di » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:01 pm

As the vet won't come to you - can you take the piglet to the vet. Depends how far away you are. I would be inclined to try anything (antibiotics?) rather than just giving up. The trouble is most vets look on pigs as a commercial herd where cost is (possibly) more important.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:01 pm

she definitely needs antibiotic treatment and metacam which is an anti inflammatory to stop the pain and help her breath.
Sadly it may be too late but get back onto the vet, take her in to see him and get her injected with either Baytril, pen and strep, r as a last resort Draxin ( a bit 'kill or cure' but i have had success with this one) and definitely the metacam to make her comfortable. there are laods of other antibiotics which are good but i am thinking quick here, will write again later,
good luck

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:39 pm

Hi there,

I have had exactly this problem with two separate piglets from different litters. The piglet needs an injection of an antibiotic called Marbocyl and also anti inflammatory(Meta cam). This was VERY effective and quick to improve the two piglets concerned. I needed to inject for 3 days with one and 5 with the other.

Good Luck, I hope this isn't too late.
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:01 pm

other useful antibiotics are Bimoxyl, amoxcyllin and Shotaflor. all vary with wether they need repeating but a LA one is best because it saves the stress of too many injections.

Many piglets develop chest problems early on, often simply because they have injested birth fluid which has gone into the lung and gets infected. I have always treated them and usually with success. sorry to hear your vets reaction :(

JessieMay

Post by JessieMay » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:30 pm

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!! :)

Just after I posted this, she stopped breathing completely and we tried and tried to get her to come around and she finally lost her heart beat!
my brother ran and got a bottle of brandy and spooned it into her, she jumped alive straight away!!
Put her back with her mum and the next morning she has recovered!
She is a little thin but eating and playing with her litter mates fine!! she still has a slight wheeze but nothing compared to what she had

No idea what was wrong but thanks to my brother and his brandy she is going strong (and maybe slightly hungover)

HappyHippy

Post by HappyHippy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:09 am

My heart was in my mouth reading your thread JessieMay - we had a similar thing with a week old piglet who sadly didn't make it :(
But what a wonderful end to your story :D Hope the little one continues to get on well, are you naming it "Brandy" ? :wink:

JessieMay

Post by JessieMay » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:46 pm

Im sorry about your piglet :( if only they could all make it out ok!
Yes we are all so happy about the little girl, it has seemed to knock her back a bit! she was one of the bigger piglets and now she is the smallest!
so being ill for a few days really did take it out of her! but she is doing fine now! wheeze only very very faint, if you put her mouth to your ear apart from that she is fine :)

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:13 pm

what did you treat her with in the end ? always good to know what works :)

JessieMay

Post by JessieMay » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:11 am

Treated her with a dash of brandy! it brought her back to life and the next day she was fine, she is a very cuddly little girl now
I think due to all the human contact she had, she is looking forwards to going to a farm to live with her little sister in two weeks time :)