5 month old regurgutating while eating

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
chaseview

5 month old regurgutating while eating

Post by chaseview » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:55 pm

Hello,
We have two 5 month old girls and the smaller one has started regurgitating while she is eating. We feed them 1lb pot bellied pig nuts in the morning and evening, a couple of handfuls of carrots during the day and then they graze on the grass in the paddocks for a few hours each day. She is regurgitating when eating the pellets or carrots, maybe 2 or 3 times during each feed. She doesn't stop eating and sometimes eats the regurgitated food but I'm still worried about her. She may have lost a tiny bit of weight but seems well enough otherwise. Her appetite is still huge and she is always hungry! Has anyone else experienced this? Is it something I should be worried about? It only started this week and happens once or twice a day.

Many thanks

wendy scu

Re: 5 month old regurgutating while eating

Post by wendy scu » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:11 pm

when was she last wormed?

chaseview

Post by chaseview » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:46 am

End December, haven't seem any worms in the faeces. Vet suggested it might be an inflammation of the oesophagus and to soak their pellet feed. Anything else it might be?

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:46 pm

how's it going?

chaseview

Post by chaseview » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:15 am

We had a good week feeding Nutmeg only soaked pellets but then she vomited back some carrots she had yesterday....She still seems well in herself and looks healthy. She's grazing all day too so I think I'll stick with the soaked pellets for another week and nothing else (apart from the grass). I'm concerned she has something obstructing her throat and when she wolfs big pieces of food (e.g. half a carrot) she has to bring it back up.... I'll give her another week and if it happens again I'll call the vet back. Do you think that sounds OK? Checked the faeces again today and no worms visible.......

afeagan23630

Post by afeagan23630 » Mon May 28, 2018 2:43 pm

I have a 4 month old kunekune that is also doing this. The breeder did not have anything helpful for me other than she's heard hers do it periodically... I've tried feeding mine a little bit at a time to slow him down. It certainly helps but he still does it sometimes. The first time I about cried cuz I thought he was dying. Every once a while it happens and has been for the 2 months we've had him. I've also seen him do it after drinking water. I have 2 potbelly/Juliana mix and they don't ever seem to have this issue.