Dry skin/hair loss?

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
turnies

Dry skin/hair loss?

Post by turnies » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:11 am

We have 2 castrated male KKs - now both 2 yrs old. Have always been healthy pigs. This week we noticed that both are losing their hair on their back and shoulder area they also have very dry flaky skin. We groom them regularly and up until now they had both been in fine condition. They are "fair weather" boys and tend to sit in their shed most of the time as they are still on their "winter patch" - we are due to move them onto the spring/summer grazing next week (need to wait until then as it has been fertilised). Is this something I should just leave or can anything be done? I gather "pig oil" is not such a good idea on hairy pigs. Maybe spring grazing and outdoor living will improve the situation? Marie-Claire (France)

simon

Post by simon » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:05 pm

Kunes lose their hair from time to time. It happens, don't worry about it.
There is nothing wrong with a bit of pig oil. But a bit of dry skin won't cause them any harm.

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:09 pm

Have they been treated with an Ivomectin for pig mange? Could be parasitic if not.
Never test the depth of the water with both feet!

turnies

Post by turnies » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:24 pm

Thanks for that - we do inject Ivomec 2 twice a year and in between use Panacur 4% worming powder. We live in rural France - Ivomec 2 is used here for Cattle and Pigs against internal and external parasites. Both pigs had lice when we bought them 2 years ago. Since using Ivomec 2 we have never seen any further evidence. There is no redness to their skin it all looks perfectly healthy. Up until a few weeks ago their coats were full and shiny. Maybe it has something to do with the very dry weather we are having. They have only just gone onto their Spring grazing paddock we are now hoping for some rain to make the grass grow! We have thoroughly cleaned their wooden shed, all the straw was burnt and a farm disinfectant sprayed to all surfaces. It seems from other replies that these things can just happen. We shall continue to groom, if nothing improves I shall speak to our vets, they are good on pigs but not so hot on kunekunes!!!!
Regards - Marie-Claire

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:37 am

don't worry - some of mine are also losing it by the handful
it will come back again, it always does :)

TomJonesPigMum

Re: Dry skin/hair loss?

Post by TomJonesPigMum » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:30 am

HI there. Did it come back? Wondering about my own currently quite bald kune.