Pig with Bladder Stones

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
SarahN

Pig with Bladder Stones

Post by SarahN » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:54 pm

Does anyone know of a cure for a pig with bladder stones?

I have a castrated male kunekune who has bladder stones. The impression I get from the vet is that the bladder stones move about and then sometimes come down and block him so that he cannot wee properly. I have had the vet out 3 times within the last year and after a course of injections he has temporarily recovered. But the bladder stones are still there apparently and today he is ill again.

The Rushbury Pig

Re: Pig with Bladder Stones

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:54 pm

Hello there,

This is a well known issue with castrated pigs although much more is known about it in the USA.

I know a couple of people with experience of castrates with this condition so will alert them to your message on this board.

I believe you have to cut right back on hard compound feed and give cider vinegar but I am not 100%.

I'll contact the people I mention now :wink:
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:56 pm

Do you use Facebook?

BKKPS Chairperson

SarahN

Post by SarahN » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:34 pm

Hello Sam Jones,
Firstly, thanks for replying but no I'm not on facebook. Update on piggy --As he has had this before I already put a bit of cider vinegar in their water every day, Also he has a apple every day. ( I know 1 apple isn't much for a pig but at this time of year its all I've got) What I have done today is look on google and apparently people with bladder stones should drink a lot to dilute the wee - and apples are good. I have rushed out to the shops and bought loads of apples and lots on cartons of apple juice. I've cut apples up and put them in a bowl with apple jiuce and water and got him to drink a lot all day. He has just had a great big wee instead of standing around looking very ill dribbling wee as his bladder was full. He generally seems more lively but its to soon to tell.
My next question is do I feed him any concentrates at all- is there anything else that can be feed instead? It seems to be the protein in the concentrated food that causes this. I have already switched to the Allen & Page pot bellied food which is the lowest protein food I can find but its obviously not low enough.
Sarah

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:08 pm

I believe you have spoken to Wendy now on the phone who is one of the people I suggested would be good for contact. She will have been able to tell you pretty much all that is known as her and a close friend have in depth experience of this. This friend has said she is happy for you to call if you would like me to pass on her details. Her castrate also had an operation.

I believe ram food is suggested as the only concentrate recommended and that ideally you feed hay, veg, apples and cider apple vinegar. Half a teaspoon of Ammonium Chloride can be added to normal concentrates (it is already in ram food). There is a list of other possible drugs I have been given that may help ease the pain and discomfort and relax the urethra but these would need to be specifically prescribed. I can provide the list via email - samjonesbkkps@aol.com

As a result of your question I have asked our Newsletter Editor to put together an article with the help of Wendy, a vet and anyone else she finds with experience of this as it may help more people if their castrate develops this problem.

Keep me updated on how he is or come back to me if I can be of any further help :)

BKKPS Chairperson

diz223

Post by diz223 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:24 pm

Hi Guys
Our beautiful 6 year old Kune Oliver currently has a severe urinary problem and he is being treated for cystitis by our vet, but after 4 days he only seems mildly better and more comfortable. I am concerned that it is bladder stones.

I have found various threads on the forum and would really appreciate the list of drugs mentioned earlier by Sam Jones so that I can talk it through with our vet. We gave him apples and apple cider vinegar last night and he had cranberry juice on his pellets (A&P Pot Belly) this morning. What are your views on adding ammonium chloride/citric acid? We are getting very worried and will try anything to make him better.

SarahN

Post by SarahN » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:55 pm

Hello,
My pig (castrated boy) had bladder stones/cystitis over a year ago (See my posts above). He could not wee - his bladder was full and he just dribbled all the time. He would not move around and stayed in his house. He was extremely ill, in fact I thought the end had come for him. I had a least 3 visits from the vets and each time a course of injections cured him but only for a short time. So when he started with it again (As he had had it before I spotted the signs on the first day) I made him move around and bought lots of carton of cheap apple juice and made him drink and drink and drink! I kept getting him moving whenever he tried to go back in his house. Every hour for one evening I took apple juice now diluted with water for him to drink - as much as he wanted. The next morning he was a lot better. I stopped feeding him the concentrate pig food. A year has now passed and, fingers crossed, he has been fine. When I feed the others (2 females) I give him a couple of apples and whatever other veg I have at the time to keep him busy while they are eating. He has occasionally had some of their pig food but not often. I still give him a small diluted drink of apple juice every day. Oddly enough after a year of no concentrate he does not seem to have lost any weight.
Hope this helps.
Sarah

diz223

Post by diz223 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:38 am

UPDATE

Hi Guys
Firstly, I would like to thank everyone for all of the help, information and support offered, it has been amazing. Just to give you all an update (because after all this is how we learn). After taking on board all the information everyone passed on, we switched all our piggies (Oliver 7yrs, Archie 7yrs, Gracie 6yrs and Hope 6yrs - hard to do one and not the rest!)onto a fruit and veg diet only, avoiding all pellets/concentrate, all soaked/served with a healthy serving of either apple juice or cranberry juice. Needless to say they are extremely pleased! Oliver is responding well, he can now pee, however it is very slow and dribbly, but no major 'pumping' and certainly no stress/anxiety/blood passing etc. He is very comfortable and happy. We realise we are not out of the woods, but to be honest I'm not sure that we have many options. He is happy and comfortable, and whilst it is not ideal and infection/distress may rear its head again in the future, we will keep a close eye on him. If we have to switch back to pellets we will only do so in a soak with apple or cranberry.