scottish shows

All about shows and showing of kunekune pigs.
alison stephen

scottish shows

Post by alison stephen » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:05 am

reading the newsletter today about attending shows, i would be interested in going to these but i have yet to be at a show in scotland that there have been pigs of any breed!
We have been showing our kunekunes in another way by doing "countryside classroom" organised by the RNCI visiting schools with the pigs, they were complete stars on their first visit just cuddling together and falling asleep while all the children asked questions!

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:33 pm

well done you,
any way that you can get them out into the public eye and make people aware of this special little pig is great,
keep up the good work,
Wendy

Di

Shows

Post by Di » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:30 am

This is a wonderful idea and I would love to do something similar. However, I am wondering about movement forms, etc. A school would not have a holding number so what do you do and does it then put you on standstill for 20 days when you return from a school visit?

Di

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:53 am

i would be interested to know that too alison as it works that way with shows, but when we take a pig to the vet (the most likely place to pick up disease) there is no license, no standstill etc??!!

alison stephen

Post by alison stephen » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:39 am

we were able to do this because they were on a trailer (mobile classroom) we dont need a holding number, regarding the movement restrictions, these were lifted a while ago in scotland.

Di

Shows

Post by Di » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:27 pm

So, do you mean you took them in a trailer and because you did not unload them it was deemed that they had not moved anywhere?

Di

ukag0972

Local Agricultural Show

Post by ukag0972 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:24 pm

My kunekune pigs have been invited to our local agricultural show at the beginning of August, not to show but, to go into their "pets corner".
Is there any leaflets etc, that I could give out to those who genuinely show an interest in them.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:09 pm

yes, i'm just having another batch printed and i will send you some.
would you remind me a week before and give me your full address?
you can email me privately if you prefer,
Wendy

ukag0972

Post by ukag0972 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:30 pm

My pigs must have made an impact at the show last year as they have been invited to both Kintyre Agricultural Show on Friday and Mid Argyll Show on Saturday!!

Word is getting out!!

These pigs are the way forward!!! and very cute..........

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:49 pm

that's great, thanks for your enthusiasm.

wish i could drum up a bit more support in the east - Hatfield show have set up a kunekune show for us and are now ringing me in desperation as they have so few entries. i can't take mine as i'm in france till the day before (wth pigs!)
don't know how to stir up the support over there.
the westcountry shows are great - so well supported, we all enjoy them and we now have quite a 'show community' over this side of the country,

ukag0972

Post by ukag0972 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:08 pm

Apparently, they tell me, all the kids loved them.

This is the first time that Kintyre Show has had pigs for kids to see and I will assume that the dairy farmers wil be up in arms and I'll get the blame if their cows misbehave in the ring!

Mid Argyll loved them last year and the pigs were a top attraction once they had witnessed them "sitting and begging" for apple bits!

Its always nice to show off your babies!!