Page 1 of 1

Showing Advice Please!!!

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:07 pm
by misslux
Hi all,
I am still quite new to kunekune's, but after attending the kunekune show last month, i would love to give showing a go!
So basically, what does pig showing involve? What gear do i need? And which shows hold kunekune classes?
Any advice appreciated! I am used to showing horses - but pigs are totally different!!!!

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:02 pm
by wendy scu
all you eed is a board and stick, white coat and a pig!!
the list of shows holding classes, the entry deadlines and contact details are always on the events page of this site.
first one of the year is the smallholder, builth wells in may

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:54 pm
by misslux
so what licence do i need? is it the normal movement one or is there a special one for shows?
If i took my pig to a show, would that then put me on a stand still like other movements?

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:15 pm
by wendy scu
you use and ordinary movement licence and yes, you will be on standstill for 21 days when you get home from a show.
All pigs attending a show have to be eartagged regardless of age - even tiny piglets if you're showing a sow and litter.

Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:34 am
by misslux
This leads to another question - my sows (who are nearly 3yrs old) do not have ear tags!? I think i read on here before that i should have been given them when i bought them from the previous owners? I am able to just go and buy replacements??

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:13 pm
by wendy scu
you can order replacement tags with the ear tag number off their pedigree

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:13 pm
by ambriel
Does it have to be an official agricultural show or can it be any show, like our annual village gala, for an ordinary movement order to be sufficient?

We're in Scotland, btw.

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:41 pm
by wendy scu
the laws are different in scotland but i think it is still just a movement licence

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:20 am
by ambriel
Thanks Wendy, I'll check with the powers that be and add their response to this thread - probably useful to others.

Scotland is a bit different - you can't get a walking permit here, I believe.

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:31 am
by wendy scu
i have a friend in Scotland who has 'normal' pigs and she will know if you get stuck

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:33 am
by Di
I'm not sure about this but we were asked to take kunekunes to a local farm for the Open Farm Sunday. However as it was not a registered agricultural show I would have had to leave the pigs there for the 20 day standstill and then another 20 day standstill on returning home. I would imagine a local village gala would be the same.

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:48 pm
by wendy scu
i do local shows and have done them on a special licence which the show has to apply for so they don't have the 20 day standstill but you or i still incur it when we get home

not sure about scotland though

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:28 pm
by ambriel
Hmmm useful information. As luck would have it I'll be helping organise the gala so will look into whether we can get a license.