what do we want ?

General chat about kunekune pigs
wendy scu

what do we want ?

Post by wendy scu » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:05 pm

Hi all,
i have been invited to speak at the Animal Health Distributor's Association annual conference in January.
This is pitched at approximately 500 guests from the pharmaceutical, veterinary and agricultural merchants industries. My job is to put across what we as a smallholders/outdoor pig breeders/keepers want from these industries and how they can improve their services to us.
i am thinking of animal handling equipment, perishable drugs in smallholder quantities, veterinary workshops,
Has anyone got any specific points that they would like to raise? i am happy to do the homework if you would like to throw any ideas at me!

cloudybay

Re: what do we want ?

Post by cloudybay » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:10 pm

Hi Wendy,
I think that one of the most important things as a smallholder is the size of every thing.
We all don't have hundreds of animals.
Its just a few and that then becomes expensive and wasteful. If you don't use all of the medicines by a certain date you then have to dipose of it all.
So in this instance size matters....... SMALLER PLEASE.
Good luck with it.

Kind regards

Bridget

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:19 pm

I know this is a very contentious subject on here... but what smallholders desperately need is a qualified affordable mobile slaughterman/butcher, and I wish a bill could be put through parliamanet for legislation to be changed back regarding this ban.

When you raise animals with love and care, however good your nearest abbatior may or may not be (that is if you actually have one left within 50 miles!) it still causes so much unecessary stress, that a quick efficient home kill would not. And how many stories do you hear of getting back someone else's rubbish, rather than your own carefully raised meat?

I'm sorry Wendy, as I know you are vegetarian... but the current climate of a flooded piglet market has forced many of us to face up to the inevitable, and I believe in a good quality of life ~ AND death.

Not sure if this is relevant in any way to your upcoming conference... and I apologise if I have offended anyone with this post.
Never test the depth of the water with both feet!

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:46 pm

Not offended pandora but there are mobile slaughtermen and you can have home slaughter so not sure of your point?

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:46 am

Oh, I thought mobile slaughtermen licenses had been revoked and the practice banned? Every bit of research I've done seems to suggest that.
I know it is still legal to do a 'home kill' which the law says is for your own personal consumption ONLY (dispatching chickens is one thing... couldn't do a pig!), but you still have the issue of disposing of entrails/carcass bones legally and I can't even find a knackerman anywhere locally where we are in Norfolk.
Never test the depth of the water with both feet!

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:56 pm

as i understand it you can have a mobile slaughterman come to you and kill your animal. he then usually takes the entrails etc away with him and you can take the carcass to a butcher to do with as you please but yes, the meat is only for your consumption, ie you can't sell it. I have had many lambs done this way although i don't do pigs.

if i have to dispose of a pig i have a knackerman who comes out or i have the vet come, depending on the circumstances.

Di

Post by Di » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:00 am

Just reading the post 'Are we expecting or not' and maybe something we could do with is pregnancy testing kits available in small quantities?

truella

Post by truella » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:01 am

Di wrote:Just reading the post 'Are we expecting or not' and maybe something we could do with is pregnancy testing kits available in small quantities?
Actually Di, it would be quite handy that.
I know Pedro said that you can get them by the 100 in the US, but most of us are in the UK. I also know you can get scanning machines, but what small holder with a few sows want to fork out for one of those?
I did only say about 'clear blue' as a joke, but it would be very helpful in the situations described in 'Are we expecting or not' & for the larger breeders who take sows in to stud. :lol:
Mind over Matter...........You don't mind, it doesn't matter!!!!!

pedro1

Post by pedro1 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:28 pm

I agree I do live in the uk and it seems that the only place I can find pregnancy tests for pigs Is in the USA and also they come in such big packs and the amount it cost to ship them is ridiculous. Also they have an expire date on when they can be used which I think is only a year and I'm not going to use 100 tests in a year on my 3 sows. I also agree with smaller quantities of medicine and maybe make it easier to get hold of some medicines as I know some people have said there vets try to rip them off when it comes to medicine. From pedro

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:17 am

i'm not sure of the point of pregnancy tests in Sows?
unlike sheep, who are regularly scanned as their state of pregnancy or non pregnancy has a heavy bearing on the way in which they are fed and their general state of health,sows are fed in the same way, medicated in the same way and generally treated in the same way, regardless of whether they are pregnant or not so i don't think the demand for a pregnancy test would be there.