Pigs and Bees

General chat about kunekune pigs
PollyRichard

Pigs and Bees

Post by PollyRichard » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:30 pm

Hello everyone. First time on (after valuable help from Simon). Here's the question - We have 2 lovely boys (Charlie and Ted). We'd like to keep bees in the same garden, or even well fenced off in a corner of their field. Does anyone have experience of keeping pigs and bees? We wouldn't want any upset.
Cheers
Richard

Carol

Re: Pigs and Bees

Post by Carol » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:52 pm

Hi, I have 5 hives in the corner of a small orchard. I have kept 4 pigs in the rest of the orchard for most of the summer. The hives have stock fencing all round and a strand of electric tape about 6 inches above the ground. If the pigs are running short of grass and the grass looks greener on the other side they will try and get to it. Also make sure there are no overhanging fruit/nut trees where you intend putting your bees, pigs have a very keen sense of smell and there is nothing more tempting than a few fallen apples.
The only other thing to think about is, if you can have a way of getting to your bees without actually walking through the pigs. In wet weather you end up with a very muddy beesuit, and it can be quite difficult to open and close gates with your hands full of bee equipement while trying to stop the pigs from following you through :lol:. Good luck and I hope you do decide to keep bees.

PollyRichard

Post by PollyRichard » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:31 pm

Thanks so much for this Carol. It's most encouraging. I was a bit concerned about bees using the boy's wallow as a drinking fountain and getting sat on, resulting in stung bottoms etc! :lol:

Carol

Post by Carol » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:56 pm

That is always a risk, although i have not had a problem and pigs have very thick skin. All the bees (and wasps) in the neighbourhood, not just yours, would be interested in the water. I think they would probably take flight before the pigs laid on them. If you are worried about it then a stone bird bath or a cat litter tray, with a sod of earth and grass at one end (so the bees don't drown), kept topped up with water in your apiary will encourage the bees to use that rather than the wallow.