Help please... Gilts fighting

General chat about kunekune pigs
Piggywig

Help please... Gilts fighting

Post by Piggywig » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:56 pm

We have just introduced a 4 month old gilt from the same family to our same age castrated boar and gilt. Our gilt is attacking the new gilt and has cut her ear.I'm afraid to leave them together but only have one pen.... Please help

simon

Post by simon » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:58 pm

Its normal for them to establish a pecking order, and sometimes it can seem quite brutal.
Give them plenty of food to make them a bit more sleepy and content. But they will fight for the first day or so.

HappyHippy

Post by HappyHippy » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:07 pm

What I normally do with new pigs (once they've done their isolation period) is to give them all a spray of something strong smelling (tea tree oil, antiseptic, even body spray would do if you've nothing else :wink: ) and I think it helps - could make no difference right enough, but I always do it anyway.
With regard to the fighting - yes, pecking order stuff is normal. I find it's normally the head and ears that bear the brunt of it in that case :roll: but if they're biting at each others bottoms and back legs it's a bit more serious and I always step in and break it up.
HTH
Karen x

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:30 pm

Be careful stepping in if you are inexperienced though, If you have a length of round plastic drainpipe knocking about, keep it by the paddock. Makes a good surprise sound to pull them out of the 'red' zone quickly with a bonk on the nose if necessary, but doesn't hurt or do any real harm.
Never test the depth of the water with both feet!